Two smaller co2 units vs. one larger one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I'm thinking about going down the CO2 route with my planted FW community. New experience for me this, all very technical and complicated sounding if you ask me!

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of reading (not much) and wanted to known a few things:

1. Is it better to opt for two smaller units (capacity 150L each) or one larger unit (capacity 300L) for my 55G (220L specifically)?

2. I was looking at the Hydor NRG range particularly: the basic NRG (the 150L capacity units), vs. the 'exclusive' NRG (the 300L capacity pressurised unit). I wanted to know: does anyone use a pressurised unit like this and can it be turned off at night? I've been reading that co2 injection at night can be a Bad Thing (TM)...

Any other tips etc?

Lighting on the tank, which is 120cm length x 40cm width x 46cm height, is a twin 36W (i.e. 72W) T5 compact flourescent. Fairly light intensive.

I also plan on dosing using TetraPlant PlantaMin just because I really trust the Tetra brand after having used it for so long without any problems.

Hoovercat said:
Read. Please.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=86934

Then come back with questions. Many people here use pressurised CO2. Tropica's plant nutrition seems to be a much more popular fertiliser on your side of the pond.

Could you post links to the CO2 systems you're considering. I don't think we have many folks familiar with Hydor CO2 systems.

No need to be aggressive. I do appreciate people post questions which may already be answered, but I wasnt asking about the principles of CO2 injection since I had already 'done my reading'; my query was specific to dual units vs. a single unit, and a specific manufacturer. I've got answers off George Farmer over on another forum which have been far more friendly, thanks anyway.

In terms of ferts I've gone with powdered potassium phosphate and powdered potassium nitrate and will be making my own solutions. That, along with some trace from the Seachem Flourish Excel.

First step is in improving lighting, in fact. At 2wpg I'm short of 44W as it turns out.

In terms of CO2, as I say, I've had very useful replies from George Farmer.

If anyone had any experience with your suggested systems or you had posted a link describing them you would have gotten your desired results.

Your words : "Anyway, I've been doing a bit of reading (not much)" so I thought the article suggested might get you up to speed.

Excel doesn't contain any trace.

I meant Flourish, not Flourish Excel, my mistake.
Again, there's no need to be so unfriendly in your posts: I'm a human behind these words! I think people forget that on forums sometimes.
I posted the topic for some friendly advice, not to be spoken to in this way. I didn't realise it was going to be such a chore for you, my apologies.
A simple "this topic might be useful for you" would have sufficed. I dislike being spoken to like a school child with instructions to "Read. Please."

As I say, thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom