Tying java fern. Never doing it again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoMoreGoldFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some Windelov java fern today and was planning to tie them to my bogwood (doing it for the first time), when I got home I remember a lot of my shrimps like to hide inside my bogwood. I gave it a few shakes, a few shrimps stuck their heads out to see what was going on and went back inside again, refusing to come out. So I had to tie the java fern standing over the tank while holding my bogwood under water which was a pain. To add to the woe, the only brown strings I have are cotton ones, so it was floating in the water making it extra difficult.

What made it worse was the fact that I bought the Windelov type of java fern, everything was getting caught and I had to keep redoing it while trying to keep 7 individual bunches together. It was a nightmare! So I decided to combine those 7 little bunches into 2 big ones on the kitchen table, and then tied them to the bogwood underwater. The whole task took about 90 minutes and my back is aching like crazy. :banghead:

Attachments

• Photo0417.jpg
    Photo0417.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 162
I had the same issue when trying to tie my java ferns to driftwood initially. So here's what worked for me. I used fishing line and wrapped the line around once. Leaving plenty of extra on both ends, I then tied a slip knot forming a loose loop (bight). Then I slid the rhizome under the loop between the driftwood and the line. Holding one end in my teeth and using my other hand, I snugged it up. Then all that was left was to use a nail clipper to trim the tag (bitter) ends close to the knot. It works fine. I hope I explained that well enough. Rubber bands work if you have access to the ends of the driftwood. Anyway hope this helps somebody....

Use plastic push pins rather than metal (may rust). Once attached just remove.

Back
Top Bottom