Ugly Tank w/ Pretty Fish - Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help aquascaping my tank. What are the tips/tricks to building rock walls, how much swimming room should I leave for my fish, I am pretty lost on the subject. I've attached a picture of my tank, everything is perfect except the lack of plants and decor. Help me!

Attachments

• PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 358
JamesMJ2 said:
I need help aquascaping my tank. What are the tips/tricks to building rock walls, how much swimming room should I leave for my fish, I am pretty lost on the subject. I've attached a picture of my tank, everything is perfect except the lack of plants and decor. Help me!

You said it, plants! lol There's lots of info and people to help if that's the route you want to go.

I've been loving the plants and except for a SW project I want to do, everything else has/will have plants (even brackish). If you go to plantgeek.net you can look up plants that fit your tank (ie lights, temp, stock, etc) and test the waters :).

IMHO, start out with low light, easy plants, get some experience and go from there. One thing to try is Java Moss on the clay pots, use hair nets cut to fit, to hold the moss till it locks on/grows.

Other things to add are driftwood or rocks.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I've been trying to start up plants again with Anacharis and Dwarf Grass, but without CO2 my plants simply can't keep pace with my voracious barbs! I was thinking investing in other types of decor would be less costly than getting CO2 up and running.

JamesMJ2 said:
I've been trying to start up plants again with Anacharis and Dwarf Grass, but without CO2 my plants simply can't keep pace with my voracious barbs! I was thinking investing in other types of decor would be less costly than getting CO2 up and running.

If your barbs are eating everything c02 won't help IMO. Might try researching what plants they don't like and try that. I have Fantails that munch on anacharis and moss balls, but like to tear everything else up just for fun :p. So I "hide" the others amonst the anac. or behind DW to give them a chance to grow.

Put some amazon swords in there they should be able to withstand the attack from the barbs also there are a lot of synthetic plants that look really real avalable today

+1 on trying the swords. Java fern is usually a good choice for tanks yours as it has a bitter taste that many fish, including most barbs, dislike so they won't fuss at the foliage. You might also try some of the anubias with thicker leaves. Plant nibblers will often leave those alone as well.

I used pots cut in half to make some caves, as well as flat rock from our property to make a rock cave wall along back. Still working on getting it all right.... But all the tanks are coming together. I just redid my fon and have some pix but not many. The last is my sons tank he is working on. He 16 and so cute with his fish. We also have 75g mbuna and 55g mbuna tank and an over stocked 55 tropical and my son has a 40 g breeder with small convicts and jack dempseys, those will be in a 55 soon as they are a bit bigger and start to get aggressive :)

Last edited:
I guessed at the tank size, so the scale might not be right. Either way, why not try something like this? I used driftwood, java fern, Aponogeton crispus, crypts, and petite nana anubias. They're all low-medium light and good beginner plants

Attachments

• PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 177
Thanks for the suggestions! Props to herp mommy for the photo-shopped picture of my tank! I will look into the profiles of the plants suggested, but I don't think anything is going to do very well until I have a CO2 setup which I cannot afford at the moment. I was thinking of getting some more pots, drilling them out and attaching them to each other to form a small network of caves. I probably need a new piece of driftwood, since my pleco has pretty much demolished my existing piece. My tank stats are now attached in my sig, I had them filled out in my profile, but that doesn't display.

Thanks for the suggestions! Props to herp mommy for the photo-shopped picture of my tank! I will look into the profiles of the plants suggested, but I don't think anything is going to do very well until I have a CO2 setup which I cannot afford at the moment. I was thinking of getting some more pots, drilling them out and attaching them to each other to form a small network of caves. I probably need a new piece of driftwood, since my pleco has pretty much demolished my existing piece. My tank stats are now attached in my sig, I had them filled out in my profile, but that doesn't display.

The Red Sea CO2 Bio System is relatively cheap ~$30, and will work for your tank size. I have one on my 55gal. You just have to mix sugar, water, and yeast once every 3 months.

Thanks for the suggestions! Props to herp mommy for the photo-shopped picture of my tank! I will look into the profiles of the plants suggested, but I don't think anything is going to do very well until I have a CO2 setup which I cannot afford at the moment.

There is not necessarily a need for C02 in a lowlight tank. I have one low light tank and one low/medium light tank and both do just fine w/o C02.

Coleallensmom said:
There is not necessarily a need for C02 in a lowlight tank. I have one low light tank and one low/medium light tank and both do just fine w/o C02.

+1

In a low light, no fert tank a co2 system might cause more problems than it'll solve IMO.

So, 46 gals with 96w CFL?

Yep. I believe the bulb in there now is a 6700K, but it's getting old. I know I keep mentioning CO2, in the past when I tried plants I struggled to get them to thrive, until I cobbled together a CO2 system with a 2 liter and an airstone. Clearly, the consensus here is to integrate plants into my tank decor, which I am all for because of all the other benefits, I just want to avoid the costs exceeding the benefits.

I can understand that.

I still don't think you absolutely need C02. Certain plants need it more than others to thrive, so just be careful with your plant choices. Also, If you're not heavy on ferts and you put your lights on a timer, even at that wattage you should be ok as far as algae growth is concerned. I have a 20 gal with more wpg then your tank and no C02 system (although I do dose Seachem's Excel) and I haven't had an abundance of algae issues.

I noticed you have a angelfish that will be a problem with fin nipping with the barbs and angels prefer to be in groups

I noticed you have a angelfish that will be a problem with fin nipping with the barbs and angels prefer to be in groups

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about having barbs with an Angel then with having a single Angelfish. Barbs really can be quite nippy.

Back
Top Bottom