Under gravel filter system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I'm getting a set up with an under gravel filter system? I have read somewhere that these will be a problem with live plants...

Are there any live plants that tend to grow better with under gravel filter systems?

You'll want plants that are tied to driftwood or rocks, or floating. Since these won't have roots in the substrate you won't have issues with them mucking up your filter or you damaging the plants when you clean under the plate. Mosses, Java Fern, Anubias, and any floating plant are the main ones that come to mind.

So what your saying is the plants will surely die if I get ones with roots and a UGF?

I personally would get a HOB or a cannister filter depending on tank size and scrap the UGF. Cleaning under them is difficult without plants. Very difficult with plants. Your plants could sustain damage when cleaning under the plates.

With plants I agree. However, I have had one on my FW tank for years. I have a contraption I built with PVC that hooks up to my Shopvac. About every 6-8 weeks I hook that up and super suction the bottom using the riser tubes. Keeps it clean as a whistle (more clean I bet than gravel vac-ing w/ a tube w/o a UGF). Nothing gets in the water column and it take minutes. :) As long as you keep it clean underneath a UGF is a great filter..GREAT... Analgous to live rock in a salt water aquarium.. Lots of good bacteria on the gravel that love the flow of water down through the rocks to feed and nourish them.

Most who poo-poo them haven't spent the time to figure out how to maintain them the right way. $3 or less at HD/Lowes and a Shopvac.. Presto. Super clean... After all, where does all the gunk end up.. Not where your HOB is pulling from.. but in the gravel...

BTW.. I also have an HOB on the FW also so I can run media when I need to (carbon/GFO/Purigen/etc).. But with both the water is crystal clear

But since you're looking to be planted.. I'd stay away

So what your saying is the plants will surely die if I get ones with roots and a UGF?

It's not so much that the plants will die, as that if they do well they'll clog up the gap below the filter plate and interfere with the filtration. If you ever have to remove the filter plate for any reason (cleaning or other maintenance) then you'll damage the roots in the process because they'll have grown through the plate. By either not using an UGF or plants that don't root in the subtrate you avoid these problems.

I had been using UGF's for a couple of years and liked them, but like yourself I was concerned about my plants. just yesterday I removed my UGF. The roots grew straight through and unfortunately some of them did get damaged.

Back
Top Bottom