Underrated easy plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flchamp89

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not the common ones...but easy plants we dont see every day that can be found/bought. I love finding/using these plants. Problem is alot of them are not user friendly in formal scapes. But....these plants can be useful to the average aquarist. I'll start with a few.

Banana plant
Dwarf lilly
Mermaid weed
Naja grass

Doesn't banana plant rot after a few weeks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive read that the tubers (bananas) can. People seem to have the plant continue to grow regardless. I have never had them melt. Interesting plant which light macro and micros seem to affect leaf coloration.

Hey @flchamp89 this is actually a nice thread you've started here how's about some pics of those plants and the scapes that they could be used in.....you guys in USA are so lucky, we don't get a whole lot of plants that y'all get

I thought the thread might take off...guess not. I have a banana and lilly in my tank (show off tank thread). Several sp. of mermaid weed. Naja (guppy grass) was like the go to plant years ago. I was gonna post pics.

I killed a banana once. But the others I haven't seen. Java fern and Anubias are pretty tough.

I've got Java fern and Anubias growing great

In fact I just might have to much[emoji23][emoji23]

My new fave is Bacopa australis. Growing like a weed in my tank with a Finnex 24/7 and occasional glut and Flourish, no tabs or soil.

Also loving some of the non-wendtii crypts. Never seen undulatus, for example, in my local shops, but it's great.

Gees I wish I could get my hands the plants you guys are talking about

My new fave is Bacopa australis. Growing like a weed in my tank with a Finnex 24/7 and occasional glut and Flourish, no tabs or soil.

Also loving some of the non-wendtii crypts. Never seen undulatus, for example, in my local shops, but it's great.
That bacopa.. awesome I never heard of it I need to research it

Just saw this thread...

Haven't seen this plant for sale for years now. Used to have tons of it and now in my tanks long gone, Ludwigia Repen x L. Arcuata

The only pic I saw with it in it from my albums.
Great color and almost no issues ever with light or ferts. Obviously it likes some ferts. On the left side, not the fake green and pink plant on the right, hahaha. Though it lasted for YEARS no need for light or ferts!
60074-albums9763-picture40417.jpg

Moss balls (mabe not under rated, but over looked /not purchased by many.

Subwassertang !!! Also should be Susswassertang according to the Germans in an article I read.

Another one - Aponogeton, Boivinianus and a couple others you get in the bulb packs from the store - the ones which do not require high light

Another one I really enjoy in a tall tank is Crypyocoryne Balansae the long crinkled edge ones (often come in the tissue culture packs as little 1-2" plants.)
and the pic made me include Bolbitis - the mass in the center on top of the wood.
60074-albums13090-picture68690.jpg

Good ones....L. Arcuata. Im on another forum where majority are from Singapore. Seems like everyone over there has it lol

My banana plant started to rot after two weeks. Maybe I planted it wrong?

Naja grass seems interesting :) I might have to try that out in my tank.

My banana sit on substrate. A rhizome will branch off and grow into substrate.

Back
Top Bottom