Unexpected find...score !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at Marshalls (discount department store) with the wife shopping (it's not football season so my Sundays have opened up a bit) and in the home goods section I see a branch of wood amongst the knic-knacks. The tag reads "Manzanita" with a brief description and a marked down price of $5.00. It is an interesting piece that measures 16"x16". Not sure what I am going to to with it yet; won't fit in the 6.6 gallon tank and my 20g long already has a large piece of DW in it.
image-1699187136.jpg

My favorite thing I've seen with pieces like that is to make a tree using xmas moss. I'm on my phone so I can't really find a picture, biy you should look it up!

My favorite thing I've seen with pieces like that is to make a tree using xmas moss. I'm on my phone so I can't really find a picture, biy you should look it up!

There are a few members here with that look. I like it.
Not sure if I can pull off that look with the mosses I already have: flame and some other type.
This is the other moss. I posted this pic on another thread regarding black beard algae.
image-3686639733.jpg
The next pic is the flame moss on the left and the unknown moss on the right side of the DW. Maybe it is java moss?
image-695170243.jpg
In order to fit this piece to fit in a 6.6 gallon (it's 24" long and quite shallow) I will have to trim it down to size and reuse the cut branches.

Update on my $5 DW: I cut off the branches that were pointing sideways and mounted these on a piece of slate using stainless steel screws. Put it in a 6.6 gallon tank for soaking.

image-2521331112.jpg

image-3990228666.jpg

image-515336999.jpg

Will be getting a different tank (either the schuber wright rimless or fluval spec V) because the 6.6 has been in storage for a few years and what I thought was hazy water is actually numerous tiny scratches on the surface (it's plastic/acrylic). Plus, the penguin 150 hob I was going to use on it is too powerful and way too noisy (will be in a bedroom). I can use THIS tank for QT.

I was at Marshalls (discount department store) with the wife shopping (it's not football season so my Sundays have opened up a bit) and in the home goods section I see a branch of wood amongst the knic-knacks. The tag reads "Manzanita" with a brief description and a marked down price of $5.00. It is an interesting piece that measures 16"x16". Not sure what I am going to to with it yet; won't fit in the 6.6 gallon tank and my 20g long already has a large piece of DW in it.
View attachment 158440

No way ... Marshall's? Really? To think I hate going there.. My wife would literally spend hours in that store:facepalm:. BUT! If there's a chance my local Marshall's also have Manzanita at those prices, then I'll be their newest customer(y) albeit for a brief visit .. no wife of course.:D

That's a sweet score! And at $5.00 is even sweeter.(y)

Update on my $5 DW: I cut off the branches that were pointing sideways and mounted these on a piece of slate using stainless steel screws. Put it in a 6.6 gallon tank for soaking.

View attachment 159891

View attachment 159892

View attachment 159893

Will be getting a different tank (either the schuber wright rimless or fluval spec V) because the 6.6 has been in storage for a few years and what I thought was hazy water is actually numerous tiny scratches on the surface (it's plastic/acrylic). Plus, the penguin 150 hob I was going to use on it is too powerful and way too noisy (will be in a bedroom). I can use THIS tank for QT.

That looks like the Petco bookshelf tank if I'm not mistaken. Yep, amazing how easily it scratches. Mine had a few scratches after almost 6months of use housing shrimp.

No way ... Marshall's? Really? To think I hate going there.. My wife would literally spend hours in that store:facepalm:. BUT! If there's a chance my local Marshall's also have Manzanita at those prices, then I'll be their newest customer(y) albeit for a brief visit .. no wife of course.:D

That's a sweet score! And at $5.00 is even sweeter.(y)

Yea, unexpected find. Can't remember why were there in the first place. Apparently it is something that they carry, however, this was the only piece I found. Solo trip is a good plan.

That looks like the Petco bookshelf tank if I'm not mistaken. Yep, amazing how easily it scratches. Mine had a few scratches after almost 6months of use housing shrimp.

Yep, it is the Petco bookshelf tank. The last setup in this tank had play sand and the magnets were supposedly acrylic safe. Oh well, will make a nice QT.
I picked up a 30" black aquarium stand last night. I know it is a little large for the schuber wright or fluval spec V. But for the price of those I can get a 20 g long and spend the money on lights and filter. I think I will start a new thread on the shrimp tank build.

I just upgraded to a 20long as my shrimp tank ... Had it in storage for months and figured now was the time to set it up. The 6.6 served my shrimp well but now it's my Brother in laws and a new home for some Mollies. Good find on the stand.. I went with an ikea bookshelf for the 20gal.

BTW, as luck would NOT have it, hurricane Sandy took care of my closest Marshall's. UGH .. The next closest is by a Mall that's too crowded to motivate me to go up there .. But then again my preferred LFS is also by there.

Back
Top Bottom