Unexpected Fry!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CheezDoodles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just last night, my platy gave birth to 20 something baby fish. I put them into the breeding net for now but I would like to transfer them into my planted 10 gallon. I read from forums that people who move their fry into other tanks and their fry die the next day? I really don't want that to happen. How do I transfer them and make sure they thrive? I read something about infusoria (is that how you spell it??) and i'm not too sure about how to culture them. Also, I'm going on vacation for 10 days next week and I don't know how to keep them fed. Will long lasting food work? This is my first time raising fry so I need lots of advice because I don't want them to die :(

If you have a lot of plants/hiding spots in the original tank then you can let them out of the net. There may be some deaths but the strongest will survive. They will feed on algae and biofilm until they are big enough for flakes/pellets.

It’s gunna be tough to keep baby fish alive while you’re on vacation. How long has the tank been set up? (Older tanks have more little things for baby fish to eat). If you do leave them with the older fish I suspect they might become vacation feeders. Might want to add an electronic vacation feeder to keep the adults fed because hungry fish and fry aren’t a great combination!

I put them into my planted 10 gallon that has been set up for 3 weeks now. I bought a plankton feeder block. But I would like to know more foods to feed them, any suggestions?

Also, how would I know if they're healthy an happy? I mean...it's been almost 3 days now and they're a centimeter long but they're still so tiny... How big should they be in a month, two months, and three months?

Back
Top Bottom