Unknown plant popping up everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This weekend I took all my plants and substrate from my 20g long and put them in a new 29 gal. Now I have hundreds of baby plants popping up everywhere in the tank. This is the best pic I can get of them. 4 or 5 of them in the center of pic and one near the left corner.
img_817347_0_41d723d55dc831d74cf791449d213829.jpg

I have no idea what it could be. The tank has the following plants in it.

HC, Didiplis Diandra, Marsilea minuta, rotala rotundifolia, cabomba carolina, Eleocharis acicularis, LA. glandulosa, LA. brevipes, W. polyspermy, Aponogeton undulates, Heteranthera zosterifolia, glossostigma elatinoides, Eleocharis montevidensis, Ludwigia inclined var. verticillata "Cuba", Rotala sp. 'vietnam', Aponogeton madagascariensis, Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae, acorus gramineus, rotala wallichii, and Elatine triandra.

Any guesses/bets?

If it's just showing up out of nowhere, it's likely to either be a plant sprouting from seeds or a runner. That rules out most of your stem plants.

Looks like Marsilea Minuta or HC that has just started. Get another pictue in a day or two and we might be able to get a better idea for you. The only other thing would be to ask if oyu have had any plants that have flowered above the water line recnetly and if you have which ones?

I don't think it is hc or glosso. Leafs don't look anything like either of those plants and glosso usually spreads by runners. These are literally sprouting up all over the tank at the same time. I did have stargrass flower in this tank several months ago but I didn't see any kind of seed pod or anything.

Is it possible that it could be the clover sprouting from just tip of roots that were spread all over the place from the transfer and mixing up the substrate again? I am thinking the leaves get popped off the smaller sprouts leaving a viable root/stem so to say and all of them were spread all all over the place and now they are sprouting. Just a thought.

My only other thought would be if you added some more substrate and they somehow hitchiked from that.

My first thought was HC.

Your best bet is to remove some and take a Micro snap shot so we can have a better look see. Or just wait until it's large enough to make it out.

Looks like duckweed to me but normally they float. Do you see any of these guys floating at the surface?

7Enigma said:
Looks like duckweed to me but normally they float. Do you see any of these guys floating at the surface?

I thought about duckweed but the leafs are different. I don't see any floating.

Sicklid said:
Baby Elatine Triandra gets my vote.

That was my first guess as well. I've had E. triandra show up out of nowhere in several tanks before. Right now I've got it growing epiphytically from a stump that I recently placed in a tank after the stump sat outside in the sun for over six months. It will be much easier to tell once the plant has gotten a bit bigger.

Back
Top Bottom