Unknown string of moss stowaway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfelton22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I ordered a bunch of anacharis online for my goldfish and when I undid the bunch and went to put the strands into the substrate of my quarantine tank, I found a long string of some type of moss in the bunch. It kind of looks like flame moss from pics I've seen on the internet but I'm not sure. My question is, how do I care for this moss to encourage it to grow? It's only a strand about 3 inches long and for now it's just kind of free floating in the tank. I hope this is the the appropriate board to post this question. Thanks in advance!!

Oh and one more question.. sorry. My q-tank is in my son's bedroom and doesn't have a light, just the light that filters through the window. I don't plan on leaving plants in there long so that's why I never needed a light. The plants are intended for my main tank. I want to leave the moss strand in the tank until it gets a good start but I worry if there will be enough light? Does moss generally need a lot of light? Sorry I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to aquarium plants.

Still curious.. is it possible to get a good start on moss from one single strand?

Yes thumper is right. Tie it with fishing line to a rock or some driftwood. You should try to get some light, a desk lamp or something, over it to encourage growth. And dose fertilizer if possible.

Back
Top Bottom