Unplanned plant buying....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cntrygirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
My local pet smart has some fern and anubias plants on sale. What do I need for them? I have gravel right now. I'm buying a new light because it's also on sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What was the fern?

If it's peacock fern like I've seen at the PetSmart here then it isn't an aquatic plant. Make sure to check the labeling, they sell fully aquatic and "semi-aquatic" plants. Peacock fern is semi aquatic and can be grown near water or partly under but the majority has to remain exposed.

If it's java fern then the care for it and Anubias are similar. They're both low light, don't really need specialty lighting. You don't plant either in the gravel, the rhizome needs to stay exposed so most people tie them to a piece of rock or driftwood.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

There is tropica fern, El Nino Fern, and anubias afzelil. Most of them have dead or dying leaves. Should I pluck those leaves before putting them in my tank?

There is tropica fern, El Nino Fern, and anubias afzelil. Most of them have dead or dying leaves. Should I pluck those leaves before putting them in my tank?

Yes pull off the bad leaves. I'm pretty sure you the El Niño isn't fully aquatic. The tropics Fern is a variation of Java Fern.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tropica fern should be java fern. El nino is bolbitis heteroclita I believe. Not an easy plant at all to grow submerged. Anubias afzelii is easy. My Afzelii rhizome is crammed into a nook/crack of a piece of drift wood and left alone. I'd trim any dead ends, but Im not a plant pro

I plucked all the dead/dying leaves. Tied them to rocks and threw them in the tank. So far they all look good.

I plucked all the dead/dying leaves. Tied them to rocks and threw them in the tank. So far they all look good.

Awesome. It's really an easy plant. You shouldn't have any problems

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Some of my plants are starting to get black spots on their leaves. What do I do?

Some of my plants are starting to get black spots on their leaves. What do I do?

A picture will help. It's probably a nutrient deficiency

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Here's a couple pics. The leaves also look kind of shriveled.

Attachments

• 1429989295794.jpg
    1429989295794.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 1429989325519.jpg
    1429989325519.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 93
My Java Fern leaves have never been completely straight. It does look like your light isn't the best. Maybe stronger light will help.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

My tank doesn't have a background and gets a lot of sunlight. I don't think I had my light on when I took the pics.

That will cause problems with some algae outbreaks. The sunlight is evil to an aquarist...lol
I would consider moving to an area will the tank won't be exposed to direct sunlight or close off the window or door when the sun comes thru it.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

That will cause problems with some algae outbreaks. The sunlight is evil to an aquarist...lol
I would consider moving to an area will the tank won't be exposed to direct sunlight or close off the window or door when the sun comes thru it.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

+1000000

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I can't avoid the ambient light in my living room as I have a huge window and a sliding door facing the East. I keep the blinds closed till the sun rises enough to not get direct light.
Sometimes my wife gives it a peek before I get up though.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

I think it's less an algae problem more of a "direct sunlight causes heat" problem. Smaller tanks could mean heat fluctuations.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

My tank is directly in front of this sliding door window
And I don't have any bit of algae in my planted tank.

This tank is in a corner with windows facing north and west, no issues with algae either.

img_3212447_0_8b1ce4d4611afc1784d200061a33c1b4.jpg

This tank is in a corner with windows facing north and west, no issues with algae either.

img_3212691_0_8b1ce4d4611afc1784d200061a33c1b4.jpg

CO2? Do you use ferts?
I already know I don't know what I'm doing but I want to learn what you do different than I do .....I will get some green on my rocks but not bad.
I brought in some on a plant but I have managed to keep it under control. Just can't get rid of it.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Back
Top Bottom