Update on 10G planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
A while ago I wrote a semi long post about my DIY tank, for as cheap as possible, a 10G tank. Anyway I just wanted to update ont he plants condition and whether the system worked out. I am happy to say that when I came back from my vacation there was a mighty forrest in my tank. Even when I pruned it the hour before I left, and came back a week and a half later, there was nothing but wilderness in my tank, which started out with 3 valisaeria, one anacharis, 3 ludwigia, and 2 banana plants. But as some of you may know it wasn't all grand. My day today stunk mucho, and even the 10G set up was part of it. Because of this day (you can read about it in the general post of "bad day...."), I got rid of the anacharis (too much leaf dropping and clogging), the banana plants (created too much shade for the other plants to do well), but I kept the rest, and they have been multiplying like crazy. The Red Ludwigia, my favorite, has massively grown and had long roots where it started to branch out. I thought this was great. After cleaning the 10 gallon of the massive bacteria growth because of my presence else where, the tank is slowly going back to normal, and the plants are still thriving with the lights and CO2. The fish in the tank are also doing well, I believe the plants have helped them much during the "crisis" Anyway just thought I would mention this.

I have now decided that my 10 gallon material (plants and the such) wll be moved to a nice amd roomy 29 gallon!

The fish in the tank are also doing well, I believe the plants have helped them much during the "crisis" Anyway just thought I would mention this.

I'm a firm believer in "Healthy plants = Heathy Fish."
I have now decided that my 10 gallon material (plants and the such) wll be moved to a nice amd roomy 29 gallon!

You will not regret it! I love my planted tanks!

Hey all, well as an update on a mostly DIY planted tank, I am actually overcoming a bad case of algae. Thus far the suggestions for taking out CO2, turning down the light hours to about 9-10 hours, a 25 percent water change, and stopping plant supplements is working quite well.

The important things I think I should add were that during the fixing process take out as many of these wiry looking algae by hand (they look like mini roots). On top of that, though the leaves or little plant parts that are dead MUST be taken out. This algae that I overcame would feast on anything that was dead and a plant. Even some of the smaller red ludwigia leaves dead and just floating on by were attacked. Scrubbing the tank walls is also a good idea, but make sure to clean out the filter like crazy before gravel vacumming, then wait a small period of time, and then after the vacuuming. I found that my filter was underpowered because it was semi clogged with grown algae in the actual tube!

The tank is starting to look better then when I first completed it, a great sign of relief for both the fish in the tank and me! :D

Back
Top Bottom