Update on my first planted tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has come a long way from where I started
278098_10151041423756311_148056653_o.jpg

So I thought I'd share my heavily planted tank with everyone to see what you all think.

I've been struggling with what I think is BBA the long brown tubular hair algae. Though with phoslock it seems to be killing it off pretty well. Though still normal green algae is pissing me off :banghead: but getting better.

I honestly don't know what all my plants are, I know my baby tears defy logic and will only grow in my low tech medium light tank that has no co2. They stay green in my main tank but dont expand. I also just added some dwarf hair to both tanks today.

have 2 angel fish, 30+ neons, 2 sepia tetras, 1 lemon tetra, 3 zebra danios, one killi fish, a few otto cats, 1 trapdoor snail, 5 apple snails, 2 blue snails, TONS of ghost shrimp. And lots of plants. I use DIY co2 injection as well as dry fertilizers and fertilizer tabs.

I have a Aquaclear 70, Whisper 40, and a Rena 55 SmartFilter. Plus ~170 watts of lighting on the tank.

Overstocked I know but they are all growing and extremely healthy. I want to just have my angels and neons +verts/inverts but dont have a place for the other fish.

The video might be processing for a bit to be in HD. so just keep checking back on it.

My 40B planted tank - YouTube

Looks great. I wouldn't worry to much about it being overstocked with all the filters and plants you've got as long as you check your water and do your weekly changes.

Thank you :) glad I can keep all my fish. Is 50% to much to do weekly that is what I have been doing it also helps me get into more hard to reach places since I can see as well as for trimming.

Thanks! Can anyone name the plants I have? I know the dwarf hair, baby tears, and that's about it my lfs doesn't really label our anything but has tons of plants

Water sprites,I haven't really seen anything I know there are tons of micro bubbles from my co2 power head.

I think most might be swords but I have no clue. I don't need to know specifics in terms of location of plants but namea to Google

You sure are quick with that camera :) I see a couple crypts that appear to maybe be Wendtii, the little bulb with the squigly kinky leaves is Crinum Calimistratum, there is Wisteria, not sure if that is a sword, kind of looks more like one of the larger anubia, like maybe Anubia Congensis, kind of looked like Riccia Fluitans on the DW but couldn't get a good enough look. Tried to look again maybe that is Java moss not riccia. That is the best I can make out. Hope it helps!

You the man thank you! It's java moss. I'll look these up tonight maybe take a slower video

A much slower video if you please :) Then I might be able to make more out. The one in the far left corner looks so familar but I just can't put a name to it. Or you could take some close up shots of the plants and post them. That is good too as then people can study them.

I directly uploaded using camera from the android app yet they are so small sorry :(

May be small but at least they aren't jetting by :) On the 1st pic, the wisteria is in the middle, moss on DW, plant on top looks to be either a red or bronze Crypt Wendtii, the one to the right bottom looks to be a Crypt Wendtii. The 2nd picture, the one in the back left corner I still can remember, the bulb with the squigly spike leaves is the Crinum Calimistratum, the one with the long strappy leaves kind of looks like Java Fern but with only seeing a couple leaves can't be sure, the one in the bottom right almost looks like Crypt Lutea, need to see the entire plant especially the stems (Lutea looks different than Wendtii). Picture 3 still looks like Anubias Congensis to me. Pic 4 and 5 look to be the same type plant which looks like Crytp Lutea. Lutea has really dark green leaves, it is much darker green than Wendtii. I have 3 big ones and that really dark green makes them really stand out. 7 is another crypt. The grass looks like hair grass. although I have micro sword that looked very similar. Thats the best I can do.

Well, here is a new update :)

Earlier today after getting some advice on the forums decided to top my fluorite with pool filter sand. All I can say is what a difference aesthetically and functionally. No more constant dust covered plants and cloudy water from bottom dwellers or water flow! :dance:

This video is still updating and should be ready in 20-30 mins so bare with me. You will also get much slower look at my plants.

Revamped Tank - YouTube

EDIT:
Video is ready but wait a few minutes for 1080p

Back
Top Bottom