updated aquascape, found wisteria!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am very excited, I just found some wisteria at the per store and planted it as soon as I got home. It really helps fill in the bare spots and add texture! I just hope it doesn't overtake my other plants....

Just so you know, that's some lanky and, in my opinion, pretty poor looking wisteria. Not ratting on your source, but letting you know that it's going to bush up and grow lots of leaves in no time flat and look even better!

IMO, wisteria looks better a little more together so that it forms a nice bush.

aqua_chem said:
Just so you know, that's some lanky and, in my opinion, pretty poor looking wisteria. Not ratting on your source, but letting you know that it's going to bush up and grow lots of leaves in no time flat and look even better!

IMO, wisteria looks better a little more together so that it forms a nice bush.

Yeah my local fish store isn't the greatest, sometimes petsmart/petco is a little better. But I know the owners and they are nice people. They used to have a good manager, but he changed careers or something. Also this place is right on my way home from work so I stop in right quick to see If I can get lucky...

I might bunch some of the pieces together. But I know its going to fill out as well. My fish seem to really like it. Especially the angels.

my wisteria is growing super fast has almost doubled its size in 2 weeks with Co2 and has very large bushy leaves

I can't wait to see it take off. I am hoping it will grow in and make a nice background.

if u use ferts they will take off like a little boy running from michael jackson hahaha jk, but they will take off and if u do that plus co2

As to whether ferts and co2 will help, co2 almost always helps (or at least doesn't hurt, even if it's not being fully utilized), but fertilizers can be iffy depending on how much light you are working with. Just be careful when making adjustments because you could have a mess on your hands before you know it.

I am very low tech when it comes to planted tanks. IMO, co2 makes them grow way to fast causing way more maintenance. I'm ok with slow and steady growth. I have the marinland double bright LEDs, used seachem root tabs, dosing seachem flourish only with weekly to biweekly water changes. And seachem Excel when I remember, about 3 times a week. I am already having really good growth with my crypts and the dwarf sag is starting to send out shoots. The anubias however hasn't attatched to the driftwood and the java fern isn't really growing either. I don't know what's up since those are supposed to be two of the hardiest plants.

jetajockey said:
Anubias and java ferns are ultra slow growers in comparison to other plants like crypts, sags, vals, wisteria etc.

Ok well that makes sense then! I.have never kept them before. In my 12 gallon I used to have rotala indica, dwarf sag, and a few crypts. Thanks for telling me that :)

I'm getting those Odyssea lights soon too, right now I'm only using my 2 18" 15w GE 9325k. My wisteria has started to grow like mad on the top half from switching to Floramax (same thing as eco-complete but no bio water) but the lower half keeps dying because my lights aren't strong enough.

xXNirvana69Xx said:
I'm getting those Odyssea lights soon too, right now I'm only using my 2 18" 15w GE 9325k. My wisteria has started to grow like mad on the top half from switching to Floramax (same thing as eco-complete but no bio water) but the lower half keeps dying because my lights aren't strong enough.

I also have a 15w flourescent on a timer for about 8 hours a day. The LEDs I have to manually turn off and on because I just switch them to the moonlight in the evenings and overnight. So far I am surprised I havnt had any algae issues. It's either because of the ferts and excel, or because of the otos, bristlenose pleco, and apple snails.

So how long can I expect it to take for my java fern and anubias to grab hold to the driftwood?

Back
Top Bottom