Upgrading lighting on a 20H, what would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so as the title says, I'm going to upgrade the light on my 20H, I'd like to grow just about anything, I'm guess a T5HO, I don't know which one though. I don't know too much about fixtures in terms of buying them.

So what would y'all get if you were doing this? And bulb recommendations would be great too! I also have diy co2.

Thanks!

I would definitely want a T5HO. Great lights IMO. Depending on your plants, you could get a one or two-light fixture.

Not sure about the Co2.

I'd go LED. More money now but way less expensive in the long run. Power usage savings and you probably will never have to replace a "bulb".

A single T5HO would be plenty for that tank. Google up the Sun Blaze fixtrures they can be pretty cheap I believe.

Craig

I'd go LED. More money now but way less expensive in the long run. Power usage savings and you probably will never have to replace a "bulb".

I have heard that LEDs aren't good for plants. Great for corals, but you can only grow low-light plants with them. Just what I have heard though.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I have heard that LEDs aren't good for plants. Great for corals, but you can only grow low-light plants with them. Just what I have heard though.

For low light you could go with one watt LEDs. But you can grow just about anything with a nice set of CREE three watt LEDs. They make some nice fixtures, just google 'CREE led aquarium' and that should give plenty of choices. Granted, they are expensive, but in the long run its cheaper.

jetajockey said:
What's the lifespan on LED lights though? Not for general use but how long do they hold their intensity?

Most state 50000 hours. Not sure about intensity. I think I recall one place that stated 80% at 50000 hours but can't remember where I read it.

I'm actually growing anubias and banana plant at 20 inches down with a LED fixture that is not supposed to be capable of supporting plant life. Dwarf baby tears were growing good too until my GBRs decided to shred it.

Anubias and banana plants are extremely low light plants that grow in nearly anything (especially considering that banana plants sends lily pads up), so that wouldn't really be a great example. Thankfully my rams have never messed with any plants, other than laying eggs on them.

blert said:
For low light you could go with one watt LEDs. But you can grow just about anything with a nice set of CREE three watt LEDs. They make some nice fixtures, just google 'CREE led aquarium' and that should give plenty of choices. Granted, they are expensive, but in the long run its cheaper.

Well I'm really looking for a two bulb t5ho, and one that isn't worth a car haha

Okay, so I've heard the fishneedit lights are pretty good, and I really like the look of the light. How do y'all like them?

*edit*
Any kind of pros and cons would be nice too

Aquatraders.com has great prices on led fixtures and t-5s. I have used a metal halide from them, fixture was good. But the bulbs you get suck. Just replace the bulbs and its still cheaper than name brands.

check dr foster and smith i personally like the coralife dual light fixture. around $80 its a good deal i believe its super bright and looks real sleek and nice. the only draw back is you will need to buy either 1 or 2 bulbs mine came with 100k and the blue one. i only bought one more the floramax $15 amazon changed out the blue. i have both the bulbs on with co2 and no problem everything looks good. I didnt buy a 2 bulb fixture to only have 1 light on

Back
Top Bottom