Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Use a fork to poke the sand and move it around to release air pockets.
I have a sand bottom tank that has been running for a year and a half now. Never had those air pockets and I don't even have any snails. So, I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.

Adding a bit of powdered fish food might be useful too. I used this when I cycled my tank to provide the micro nutrients that the bacteria need.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Regular

I really dislike cloudy water while my tank in cycling. Soooo, I ordered the FX6 Fine filter pad and tomorrow I pickup the FX6 Polishing filter pad, both of which should increase the mechanical filtration effectiveness of my FX6 filter. Just maybe it will pull some of the crud from the water column.

In the meantime I placed some black garden weed-block cloth on the back of the tank to cutdown on the light from the dining area window. So when the tank is cycled and populated I won't have an algae breakout from too much light. I'll see how it works.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:10 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get a polishing pad. It's all you need. Put it above the carbon filter if you are using one. I usually don't worry about cloudiness until I'm cycled but couldn't hurt to add a polishing pad.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Get a polishing pad. It's all you need. Put it above the carbon filter if you are using one. I usually don't worry about cloudiness until I'm cycled but couldn't hurt to add a polishing pad.
Ok, thanks, but shouldn't be beneath the carbon filter, so as not to clog too quickly? The carbon filter would act as a pre-filter, of sorts.

How long does the cloudiness last? The first tank I cycled I had goldfish in it. So it was daily pwc along with some quickstart bacteria. The second tank was basically transfer everything to a new larger tank to a leaky tank. So the cycle was done before it started. And the same with the 3rd tank. The back glass on the 2nd tank cracked completely from one side to the next for unknown reasons. So once again, it was a transfer from one tank to another. This is the first time for a smooth transition. So sitting back and waiting for the cloudiness to clear on its own is a new experience.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Regular

Starting day 4 of tank cycling. The milky cloudiness appears less intense, but it may simply be wishful thinking. The ammonia level does not appear to have changed any, still at 4ppm.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_061957.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	313398Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_061547.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	313399
Old 07-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess it wouldn't really matter if you put it above or below the carbon filter. My thinking is you can remove the polishing pad and clean it up in old tank water or dechlorinated water, and Wring it out. You don't really want to be doing that with the carbon filter or you lose carbon. I also notice that my carbon filter pad is surprisingly clean after a month so I decided to put the polishing pad above it. It catches more stuff and has to be cleaned but that's what it's supposed to do. Lol. Either way, the polishing pad did the trick in clearing up the water in my tank. And I had slightly cloudy water after it was cycled. Canisters are kind of that way without using a polishing media IME.

The cloudiness could last until you are cycled. Sometimes, i only get a few days of cloudiness. It seems that the bigger the tank the longer it stays cloudy. Either way, it doesn't harm anything.

Did you seed the tank with BB? I dont remember if you said you did or not.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am in need of an acronym list.... What is BB? I initially seeded the new tank with bio-media from my old tank. Later I added some gravel from old tank. Today when I put the polishing pad in the canister I sandwiched in pieces of an old filter in the bio-filter media.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Bb is beneficial bacteria.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:12 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did the media from your old tank dry out at any point?
Old 07-12-2019, 05:16 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Did the media from your old tank dry out at any point?
No, took it straight from the tank and placed in the filter?

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, gallon, tan, tank, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com