Upgrading to pressurised co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I best get some citric acid today then haha

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Well I confess it was high end LED lights but yeah, one to watch out for. I noticed the same problem that it took several weeks after CO2 for the plants to come good and the bad leaves never really recovered. Quite interesting (although not at the time).

Wow. And here I thought I was being daring going to 2x on my 20-long (4ml instead of 2ml). :eek:

So, no ill effects from quadruple dosing?

Plants are fine - val is used to it. Short-term I've noticed no difference with fish. Long-term I don't think so. I've tried upping and lowering dosing for a few weeks at a time and can't notice a difference.

Seen anything your end?

Just thought to add that normally I dose about 2ppm each day. The glut solution I buy is 10% so the maths is a bit easier.

My impression on reading is that between 2 to 4ppm is where toxicity can start (although certainly some plants are more sensitive as normal dosing has reported plant melts) but honestly that was just off the cuff posts that I saw.

Just thought to add that normally I dose about 2ppm each day. The glut solution I buy is 10% so the maths is a bit easier.

My impression on reading is that between 2 to 4ppm is where toxicity can start (although certainly some plants are more sensitive as normal dosing has reported plant melts) but honestly that was just off the cuff posts that I saw.

I need to have a look in to this. I've read that 2ppm it starts becoming toxic. Will link some threads. They may be old though. Might be worth reading some studies too. Here we go again ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Seen anything your end?

So far, nothing bad. I upped the dosage to 4ml (2x recommended) starting this last Sunday, so I expect it'll need a week or two to notice if it affects the algae. (And that reminds me, I need to update my algae thread.)

Back to the thread topic, I've pretty much decided I need to go pressurized, so I'm saving for a GLA paintball regulator and drop checker. Just need to find a local source to reload the canisters.

So far, nothing bad. I upped the dosage to 4ml (2x recommended) starting this last Sunday, so I expect it'll need a week or two to notice if it affects the algae. (And that reminds me, I need to update my algae thread.)

Back to the thread topic, I've pretty much decided I need to go pressurized, so I'm saving for a GLA paintball regulator and drop checker. Just need to find a local source to reload the canisters.

Ahh pressurised...<sigh of relief> I went the same as you only I skipped the DIY co2.

My advice would be to stop adding excel to kill algae and start adding excel to grow plants. Big difference but same results. ?

My advice would be to stop adding excel to kill algae and start adding excel to grow plants. Big difference but same results.

Oh, that's what I'm doing. The idea being to accelerate the plant growth to out-compete the algae for nutrients. Basically, I determined my tank was nitrogen, phosphate, and carbon-starved, and that's what I'm working to fix. (y)

Oh, that's what I'm doing. The idea being to accelerate the plant growth to out-compete the algae for nutrients. Basically, I determined my tank was nitrogen, phosphate, and carbon-starved, and that's what I'm working to fix. (y)

I know you have it sorted. Keep us updated.

I need to have a look in to this. I've read that 2ppm it starts becoming toxic. Will link some threads. They may be old though. Might be worth reading some studies too. Here we go again &#55357;&#56838;

:) Must be something out there.

One thought I've had is to take it to a level where the nitrifying bacteria are killed off in a test tank. Never gotten around to it but at 2 to 4ppm glut I've never noticed an issue. This was the number mentioned in an old post I found in ~2006 looking at glut dosing. I've also thought this might relate to meds dosing toxicity as well and was going to try calculating a few meds into ppm but that is also waiting to be done. :) The idea I had was trying to look at what glut dosing level is useful for a pressurised CO2 system and what is over-kill. Kind of like maybe normal dosing is too much and causing long-term stress on the fish but don't know it or something, something.

:) Must be something out there.

One thought I've had is to take it to a level where the nitrifying bacteria are killed off in a test tank. Never gotten around to it but at 2 to 4ppm glut I've never noticed an issue. This was the number mentioned in an old post I found in ~2006 looking at glut dosing. I've also thought this might relate to meds dosing toxicity as well and was going to try calculating a few meds into ppm but that is also waiting to be done. :) The idea I had was trying to look at what glut dosing level is useful for a pressurised CO2 system and what is over-kill. Kind of like maybe normal dosing is too much and causing long-term stress on the fish but don't know it or something, something.

I'm in the corner that says when you have co2 dialled in well you can/should try to wean of the glut. It comes in handy for when co2 runs out. Forgot to dose this morning though. Doh

Back
Top Bottom