Upgrading to pressurised co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert2oo1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I've been using diy co2 but it's just not good enough for my lighting and fert dosing, going through a full batch of bicarb/citric acid a week or less. Beginning to become expensive in the long run. I've been looking into pressurised and I can get a 2kg cylinder for $180aus.
So I've been looking at regulators etc. I found this one on eBay and was wondering if it would be good enough?
Not real sure what to look for in a regulator so I'm asking for help.

This is the one I found:

Aquarium Planted CO2 Pressure Regulator Magnetic Valve Solenoid Bubble Counter A | eBay

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Also should I just use a glass diffuser or would it be best to get a small power head? If so what kind of size power head would I need? My tanks a 30g

You might want to look on Youtube for video review. Wyin is a Chinese company, the very few reviews on Amazon are poor, and I'm always worried about quality control on Chinese products.

Regarding diffusion, you could put the diffuser under a medium-sized Koralia powerhead. I've seen that arrangement several times.

You might want to look on Youtube for video review. Wyin is a Chinese company, the very few reviews on Amazon are poor, and I'm always worried about quality control on Chinese products.

Regarding diffusion, you could put the diffuser under a medium-sized Koralia powerhead. I've seen that arrangement several times.

Ooh ok so that's a no go then, do you know any decent brands? I really have no idea what to look for haha. Good stuff I'll sus out those power heads ?

I use an ISTA solenoid / regulator like the one below. Check whichever you get has a needle valve as the ISTA one I have is too coarse. Also I bought mine through the lfs so ended up with a ph controller which seems to be an Australian thing. The ph controller does give peace of mind but off the top of my head the ph probe for the controller is $70 or so. A ph probe lasts about 2 to 4 years.

Basically you just set the lowest ph you want under co2 injection and it will switch on/off automatically. I still run mind on an electrical timer so it doesn't come on at night.

http://www.istaproducts.com/product/co2-controller/

It is possible to do a cheaper setup I've heard than through a lfs. Mine sits in the living room with a pretty big bottle of gas so I went with the shop suggestions for good gear.

Last edited:
So I've been doing a lot of research on co2 regulators but I'm struggling to find one that fits Australian cylinders. My lfs said they can get me a system for $600 but that seems extreme. I've seen a lot of good reviews on the azoo regulators but there also hard to come by here it seems. Is there anyone here in Aus who can tell me what they use??

Welcome to Australia :) Wait to you get to lights....

You might be able to source the gas bottle through a do-it-yourself brew place for a bit cheaper. I bought a second one at a brew place but I had the regulator to make sure it all fitted.

It is expensive to set up, in Perth I think that is what I paid. Once set up though the refill cost on a gas bottle is very cheap. Best money I ever paid if interested in planted tanks.

Welcome to Australia :) Wait to you get to lights....

You might be able to source the gas bottle through a do-it-yourself brew place for a bit cheaper. I bought a second one at a brew place but I had the regulator to make sure it all fitted.

It is expensive to set up, in Perth I think that is what I paid. Once set up though the refill cost on a gas bottle is very cheap. Best money I ever paid if interested in planted tanks.

Yea I brought a make my led fixture and it's awesome (it was over $300 though).
I've got a cylinder from a home brew place like u said :) 2.6kg and it's only $22 to fill. Just need to track down a regulator... My lfs uses JL aquatic but I can't find any reviews for it at all. There's only 1 azoo on eBay and that's bid only (otherwise I'd have it by now haha) and all these good American brand won't fit because of the thread size!! Very frustrating!

What brand regulators do u use? And have u had any problems with them?

Yea I brought a make my led fixture and it's awesome (it was over $300 though).
I've got a cylinder from a home brew place like u said :) 2.6kg and it's only $22 to fill. Just need to track down a regulator... My lfs uses JL aquatic but I can't find any reviews for it at all. There's only 1 azoo on eBay and that's bid only (otherwise I'd have it by now haha) and all these good American brand won't fit because of the thread size!! Very frustrating!

What brand regulators do u use? And have u had any problems with them?

I have an ISTA - see post 5. They are good equipment but mine has no needle valve. Now I have needle valves but before that I used to practically just touch the valve to change bubble count. Completely sold on needle valves now. :)

Are you looking at with / without a ph probe? And I assume you are getting a solenoid on the regulator to attach to a powerpoint timer?

I have an ISTA - see post 5. They are good equipment but mine has no needle valve. Now I have needle valves but before that I used to practically just touch the valve to change bubble count. Completely sold on needle valves now. :)

Are you looking at with / without a ph probe? And I assume you are getting a solenoid on the regulator to attach to a powerpoint timer?

I won't be using a ph probe just the regulator with a sol to a timer :) as I've already got a program box for lighting so by the time I get the co2 I'll be running out of room in my cabinet haha I don't want anything on the outside either, already don't like how much hardware u can see in the tank etc. I'll be putting the pressurised co2 to an inline diffuser.

Do u use a kegking cylinder delapool? I'm guessing your cylinder is Aus thread?

Know what you mean - I have a maze of electrical cables behind my tank. :)

It is something like a kegking - compatible with brewing places. The first bottle I picked up at the fish shop (about the size of yours I think) and the second at a brew shop. All Australian threads. Only got the second as they ran out of CO2 gas so decided to have a spare.

So I think I've decided. I've found a nice azoo regulator with a needle valve, solenoid and a bubble counter. Comes with co2 grade tubing too. $165 to my door. I'll be getting a 2.6kg steel cylinder as well. So in 2 and abit weeks I should have everything and be ready to set it up!
Could say I'm a little bit excited :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar ta

Sounds grand, now I have co2 I'd never go back. Like chalk and cheese on growth.

Yeah diy sounded good but it's turned out to be pretty expensive for very little reward.

Got the 2.6 cyclinder and my azoo ref is on its way. I'm going to run a upAqua inline atomiser on my fluval 205. However I've had to remove my ribbed hose and replace it with clear hose. The duckbill didn't fit either so I've made up a custom made spray bar! I must say the flow is much better with the spray bar. All plants are moving around abit.
All prep'd and ready for the ref to get here mid week! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471676725.977535.jpg

Sorry my lights Do shine on the tube, only downside so far. Also the hoods open haha

Really nice looking tank! Love the placement of everything. Good look with the co2 system ??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys :) ran out of DIY today but my pressurised stuff should be here mid week so I'm just going to dose excel till that comes. I think a bigger filter is in order at some stage aswell as I'd like to see abit more flow. There's a local guy selling some fx5's for $200 so once I've paid a few bills a might see if he still has one and swap a filter off my big tank to this one. Hopefully the wife doesn't mind as I've spent a fortune over the last few months on my setups haha

I'd reduce lighting in the interim if the plants have struggled under that light in between co2 dosing before.

I had a few weeks of no co2 but high light (admittedly) and the new plant growth was pale, small and twisted even with over-dosing liquid carbon. The liquid carbon imo just doesn't keep up.

So ended up with a second bottle so I can just swap straight over. In my case I can't get to a refill place mid-week and that weekend for some reason everywhere had run out of co2.

Totally agree on the expense :( but definitely worth it to have co2 injected imo.

Definitely reduce the lighting until you can get the CO2 back up and running. Mine ran out once and I did not fill it for almost a week. I did not supplement glut during that time. I saw stunted growth and algae develop over the next couple of weeks (even after restoring the CO2). It took several weeks before some of the stem plants recovered from the CO2 outage.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom