Upkeep of planted tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nyghtfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all.
I currently have a 75 gallon reef First of all.
But I recently started a new job Working alot more hours then I'm used to. I'm just struggling to maintain it at the moment. Along with something that resembles a social life.
So I was thinking of tearing apart the tank selling it up and making it planted low tech tank.
But before I do I was wondering if the planted would be less time consuming after it's set up of course.

A low tech planted tank us very easy to take care of and does not require daily maintenance. If you have correct lighting, add a little fertilizer here and there, you'll be just fine.

220w of t5 over a 75 gallon be ok?
Subastrate I'd probably go with Eco complete as I had great results a few years back.
Just the problem can I bear to take down my reef

220w will be fine for a 75 gallon, but take a lot of work. You will need a co2 setup and have to fertilize. I recommend finding a lower wattage fixture.

220w of T5HO is not going to be low light or low maintenance. A high light, high tech planted tank takes as much, if not more, work as a reef

:( dam. Lighting is expensive in aus. Looking at over 200$ just for a 2 bulb t5 ho .

Not using the stock set up and I don't have the electrical know how to do it.
Going to have to work out something to lessen maintenance or I fear I may have to leave the hobby until I've got all this sorted out.

Not using the stock set up and I don't have the electrical know how to do it.
Going to have to work out something to lessen maintenance or I fear I may have to leave the hobby until I've got all this sorted out.
how about non planted? then you dont even need a light

I find the beauty in my tanks from nurturing plants and coral into beautiful specimens.
No Plants or no coral don't appeal to me

I find the beauty in my tanks from nurturing plants and coral into beautiful specimens.
No Plants or no coral don't appeal to me
oh,well then how about you get a desk lamp or something and grow plants like anubias,java fern,and mosses?

Nyghtfire said:
Hi all.
I currently have a 75 gallon reef First of all.
But I recently started a new job Working alot more hours then I'm used to. I'm just struggling to maintain it at the moment. Along with something that resembles a social life.
So I was thinking of tearing apart the tank selling it up and making it planted low tech tank.
But before I do I was wondering if the planted would be less time consuming after it's set up of course.

Try my solution. Get rid of your social life! Then you'll have plenty of time on your hands.
:)

Back
Top Bottom