Urgent Help needed for multiple issue in aquatic plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimclassic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I am seeing multiple signs of deficiency in plants like browning of leaves, leaves getting rotten, some of them getting transparent and with holes. I am putting some macro and micro elements along with Carbo supplements. However, still the condition is same. Please help me to get the reason for these issue so that I can fix these.

Thanks in Advance.

Note: Attached are two pics with the symptoms on it.

Jim

Attachments

• merge1.jpg
    merge1.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 77
  • merge2.jpg
    merge2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 84
Hello All,

I am seeing multiple signs of deficiency in plants like browning of leaves, leaves getting rotten, some of them getting transparent and with holes. I am putting some macro and micro elements along with Carbo supplements. However, still the condition is same. Please help me to get the reason for these issue so that I can fix these.

Thanks in Advance.

Note: Attached are two pics with the symptoms on it.

Jim

No pics to be seen ;)

Could you specify:

Your light (make/model/colour spectrum)
Your tank height + size
Your dosing schedule (products + how much + how often)
Which plants are showing symptoms
Which carbon source you are using
kH/gH/pH levels

That should give me a better idea of what might be causing some issues. Remember, browning leaves won't return to normal, so this will take some time/trial & error/patience to get you some beautiful healthy plants

Thanks for reply.
Using two LEDs of 9 watt wach, have 22 gallon tank of 24x12x18 inch. Using Macro, micro elements along with phto carb.

No pics to be seen ;)

Could you specify:

Your light (make/model/colour spectrum)
Your tank height + size
Your dosing schedule (products + how much + how often)
Which plants are showing symptoms
Which carbon source you are using
kH/gH/pH levels

That should give me a better idea of what might be causing some issues. Remember, browning leaves won't return to normal, so this will take some time/trial & error/patience to get you some beautiful healthy plants

Have attached the pics now.

Thanks for reply.
Using two LEDs of 9 watt wach, have 22 gallon tank of 24x12x18 inch. Using Macro, micro elements along with phto carb.

I think you need 5 posts or something before you can attach pictures.

I'll need to know more about the lights... pics would help. 18" is quite "a lot" of water to penetrate. What macro/micro mix?

I'm not familiar with phto carb.... is this a liquid source of carbon similar to excel?

Edit: I see the pics now, could you get one of your lights?

Looks to me like a bunch of nutrient deficiencies and lack of light.

I think you need 5 posts or something before you can attach pictures.

I'll need to know more about the lights... pics would help. 18" is quite "a lot" of water to penetrate. What macro/micro mix?

I'm not familiar with phto carb.... is this a liquid source of carbon similar to excel?

Edit: I see the pics now, could you get one of your lights?

Looks to me like a bunch of nutrient deficiencies and lack of light.

Have uploaded plants pics now and able to see in the post, please find for the pic. Attaching LED details in this reply. Please find the same.

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 64
Have uploaded plants pics now and able to see in the post, please find for the pic. Attaching LED details in this reply. Please find the same.

What does the bulb look like?

What is your fertilizer dosing like? (all details please)

That will help be more ;)

Edit: I just searched the bulb up, unfortunately I think your plants need more light. 2 of these bulbs over an 18" tall tank just wont cut it, maybe anubias and java moss, maybe....
Notice how the stem plant's lower leaves are melting back? This is very common when the lower leaves aren't receiving enough light.

What does the bulb look like?

What is your fertilizer dosing like? (all details please)

That will help be more ;)

Edit: I just searched the bulb up, unfortunately I think your plants need more light. 2 of these bulbs over an 18" tall tank just wont cut it, maybe anubias and java moss, maybe....
Notice how the stem plant's lower leaves are melting back? This is very common when the lower leaves aren't receiving enough light.

Attached is Bulb pic, fertilize.

6 ml each of macro, micro and phyto carb on a week.

Attachments

• Wipro Bulb.jpg
    Wipro Bulb.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 69
  • macro element.jpg
    macro element.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 65
  • micro element.jpg
    micro element.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 64
  • PhytoCarb.jpg
    PhytoCarb.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 65
I’d say your ferts are fine if your dosing them correctly (recommended on the bottle). Your problem is lighting [emoji362]. I’d swap those lights out for something stronger. Finnex, fluval, beamworks, twin star, chihiros all make lights specific for planted tanks. My advice would be to purchase one with a dimmer and start low and work your way up. General house hold bulbs won’t cut it in a tank that size. Try and get a fixture with around 20-40 par at substrate level. (If you don’t know what par is I’d suggest doing abit of research on it)

Hope this helps [emoji106]

I’d say your ferts are fine if your dosing them correctly (recommended on the bottle). Your problem is lighting [emoji362]. I’d swap those lights out for something stronger. Finnex, fluval, beamworks, twin star, chihiros all make lights specific for planted tanks. My advice would be to purchase one with a dimmer and start low and work your way up. General house hold bulbs won’t cut it in a tank that size. Try and get a fixture with around 20-40 par at substrate level. (If you don’t know what par is I’d suggest doing abit of research on it)

Hope this helps [emoji106]

Thanks for the reply. After some research, I found that I need a T5 light. Could you please tell how much watt T5 led is required for 24x12x18 inch tank?

Thanks for the reply. After some research, I found that I need a T5 light. Could you please tell how much watt T5 led is required for 24x12x18 inch tank?

LED and T5's are different lights all together, no sch things as an LED T5 ;)

I would say a single T5-HO 6700K with good reflectors would work, I would buy a 2 bulb fixture though and only run 1 bulb for now, this allows some expansion room for the future.

For LED I would look into a Beamswork DA-FSPEC. 1 should be plenty, you may want to look into a dimmer of some sort.
Finnex, Fluval and Current have some nice LED fixtures, just ensure they are dimmable.

As Z said LED’s and t5 are different but t5’s certainly do the job and have great colour for plants. Only thing with t5’s is u need to replace the bulbs every 6-8 months as they get dim and cause algae outbreaks. An LED fixture should last you years before needing replacement [emoji106]

Also t5’s can’t be dimmed to the desired strength like an LED can be

LED and T5's are different lights all together, no sch things as an LED T5 ;)

I would say a single T5-HO 6700K with good reflectors would work, I would buy a 2 bulb fixture though and only run 1 bulb for now, this allows some expansion room for the future.

For LED I would look into a Beamswork DA-FSPEC. 1 should be plenty, you may want to look into a dimmer of some sort.

Finnex, Fluval and Current have some nice LED fixtures, just ensure they are dimmable.

Strange, but here in India We get light as T5 LEDs. I'm not sure the brand name that you recommend may be available in India.

Will CFL light do any help for plants growth?

I got a T5 light with 6500k at below link :

Finolex 18 watt LED Deco T5 Tube light cool white 6500K- Made in India - 25000 hours - BIS Certified - Glare control

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01M08BKCD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9blLAbQM2QQKE

Will this do the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom