Used Eco Complete: Economical of Just a Plain Waste of Money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellyinvancouver

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I am a student aquarist running 3 lower tech tanks: 5.5g, 10g and 20g. All are the standard rectangle-shape. Here are some collective specs:

-Gravel substrate
-Dosing Flourish Comprehensive
-Low Light
-No Co2 now, but I see some DIY in my future.

A classified on BCaquaria.com is advertising used eco-complete. Here is the ad...

(From BC Aquaria -British Columbia Aquarium Forum)

4 bags of BLACK eco complete for $50 firm

3 bags used for a little over one year, one bag used about half yr
in very good condition, dosed regularly so the substrate hasnt been broken down bad

Worth it, or no? I am on a tight student budget and will be moving around alot in the next 4 years, so I don't mind if it will only last for a few more years.

Thanks for the input,
Kelly

personally I've found after a year the eco has depleted enough that I started to see deficiencies, and also had it start to harden on me. I would pass.

I just picked up a large bag for my new planted 20 gallon low to medium light setup with 48 watts T5 HO light output (TMI?). I thought that substrate was supposed to last indefinitely?

depends on what you mean by indefinitely. its not like it will break down so you can still use it forever. after time it seems to need a boost with like root tabs.

OK, so, what IS the stuff anyway? It looks like dirt to me, with some larger clumps that seems to be rock, but I know they aren't. Eventually I assume the nutrient clumps would give off all they have, and become, well, useless plain old dirt/elemental balls?

I love Eco because the plant roots spread so well. I've had the same seven bags for about two years now, and I did have to add root tabs after about a year and a half. I still think it's worth it because the consistency is much better than regular gravel for fine roots.

It seems more like natural dirt, so that makes sense. There are large clumps, and fine dirt (that takes some time to clear/saturate initially when first added to the aquarium). How did you notice that the substrate was "used up?" Did the plants stop growing, show signs of malnutrition, or the elemental levels drop?

I was thinking of adding a small layer underneat the fine/medium gravel in my cichlid tank to assist the swords that seem to be stunted, but I think root tabs may do the trick as well. Suggestions?

I started to see a drop off in growth, especially the heavy root feeders like swords and crypts. I started to add root tabs before I saw any major deficiencies in my plants. Plus, the root tabs last a long time. IMO, longer in Eco than in my old gravel substrate. I have no scientific proof that it's factual, just my observation.

if the tank is already set up i dont think it's worth the money/hassle of switching out the substrate. i would just spot treat the swords with root tabs. you will have to do it eventually with the eco any way.

Back
Top Bottom