Using Osmocote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armymp327

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So im thinking of using Osmocote in my tank as root tabs, however im not sure which brand to use. I have been using flourish root tabs, but they are expensive and would like to use something cheaper, and i enjoy going DIY and saving money.

Another question i have is that flourish root tabs provide NPK as well as trace, but Osmocote only provides NPK is that ok? will it effect the plants in a negative way or will my root feeders get the trace elements in the water column?

Also how do i apply the Osmocote? i am using sand if it makes a difference, but ive heard of people using gel caps to fill with Osmocote then just sticking them in the substrate, is that the best way or is there another way i should be doing it?

General info on my tank, its a 38 gallon, heavily planted, using dry ferts with the PPS-pro method and pressurized Co2.

here is what i was thinking about getting, let me know if thats the right product or not.

Amazon.com: Osmocote 2722501 Outdoor and Indoor Smart-Release Plant Food Jar, 1.25-Pound: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Greetings!

Sorry, I can't answer all of your questions but I will say that most people use Osmocote Plus (Osmocote® Plus Multipurpose Plant Food) instead of just the normal Osmocote. I recall seeing a couple of threads about DIY root tabs (including O and O+) in the past so a quick search in using the search tool should lead you to some useful threads. Also if you go to TPT there are a lot of really great threads on DIY O+ tabs and O+ alternatives.

In regards to using them most people either use the gel caps or freeze them in small ice cubes. I use the gel caps myself as I find them a little easier. The one thing about making them yourself is that you pretty much just end up with hundreds and hundreds of capsules when you really don't even need that many (although some do!). A lot of people sell them for pretty cheap too, like a 100 for 10$. I have small planted tanks (my largest is a 20g) so 100 will last me a pretty long time.

I have searched around, though I did not look at the planted tank. I forget about that website, and thanks I did not know about the O +, would make more sence to use that

Back
Top Bottom