Using rocks from outside?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppo8820

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive seen some pretty cool rocks around my house and I was wondering how I can tell if they would be safe in my tanks or not? I already have high PH and hard water, so I am not looking to raise that any higher. Does anyone have any fail proof way to tell if a rock is tank suitable or not?

You can put some vinegar on it and if it fizzes, then it's not suitable. If it passes the test, I'd give them a good rinsing. Maybe even a bleach dip to sanitize them.

Awesome, Thanks. I just happen to have a big thing of vinegar too.

don't bleach em... just boil them in a giant pot im sure you have a big pot laying around..

I used flagstone from my outside flower bed in my 44g tank to weigh down my driftwood which I also found in the reservoir like 100 feet from my house..

As long as you boil the items you find you should be fine. Also the stone you want to avoid would limestone... limestone is what they use in storm drains and stuff you know those grey stones.. That's limestone..

don't bleach em... just boil them in a giant pot im sure you have a big pot laying around..

I used flagstone from my outside flower bed in my 44g tank to weigh down my driftwood which I also found in the reservoir like 100 feet from my house..

As long as you boil the items you find you should be fine. Also the stone you want to avoid would limestone... limestone is what they use in storm drains and stuff you know those grey stones.. That's limestone..

Don't boil rocks.. they can explode.. bleach or simply scrub them.with hit water and vinegar..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd go for hard rocks with no signs of weathering (not crumbly or changing colour). Also just in case, we spray every so often around house for bugs, etc so something to check on.

You say you have high pH and hardness... how high? Calcareous rocks won't raise pH and hardness past a certain point so it may not even affect your water.

Vinegar is not strong enough to detect all calcareous rocks, for some you need a stronger acid.

Last year I gathered rocks at a river, I put them in water mixed with about 1/5 bleach for a bit. Then rinsed them very well.

+1 to Brookster. Don't actually boil them in a pot. Much safer to pour boiling water over them and then Scrub them like heck. I have several rocks from my yard in my tank. I recommend soaking them in warm water for several days too and then scrub them again. Just to make sure all the dirt is off and they aren't going to crumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you bleach, rinsing then putting in the tank is likely not adequate. Instead you can rinse or soak them in water with a big dose of dechlorinator, or rinse well then allow to dry. Smell them to check of course.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom