Using shower head filters to dechlorinate water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1midniterider

Aquarium Advice Freak
Question... Can any of the shower head filters be used to pretreat/dechlorinate aquarium water? If so, which ones can be safely used? My main concerns are what is put back into the water stream and how effective are the filters?

Is the shower head filter containing carbon and tap water containing chlorine (not chloroamines)? Here the tap water company can swap at any time (maybe season related).

The few I have read about contain carbon and a few other things to remove chlorine and chloramine plus heavy metals from tap water. So I was thinking just maybe one one could be adapted for aquarium use to treat the water before it entered the tank.

I had a quick look as didn’t think carbon could remove Chloramines - looked like it could and need good carbon / slow flow rates? Same with heavy metals - they can but people do dose micro ferts for plants while running carbon (one member sometime back reported no difference between two tanks visually running with / without).

I think it’s possible if you know your tap water although I’m happy with seachem safe treating water.

I too add the dechlorinator as I replenish the water, but the 125G tank I turn the filter off during the fill process. I leave the filter for 15 - 20 minutes after the tank is filled to give the dechlorinator a chance to work its magic so as not to destroy the BB.

So if the water could be treated prior to going into the tank than there is significantly less of chance of destroying the BB with the filter running. Is there a test kit for chlorine and chloramine?

Pool test kits for chlorine but not sure on the other. The pool tests kits could be worth looking into as generally I found no issues with them (still a cheap test but seemed to make sense with dosing).

I’ve always added water conditioner to tank just before adding tap water for I’d say last 5 years. The heaters / filters switched back on straight away. Common hardy fish but no issues (could be our tap water too on way it is treated).

Back
Top Bottom