Uv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpr233

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is a uv sterilizer good for planted tanks? I have an algae problem. I cut down on the lights to 9 hours, I Do water changes weekly, I have a good cleaning crew (3 corys, a bristlenose pleco, 6 Siamese, 5 otos.
I cleaning the algae every three days. It's annoying

Any help??

IMO algae is a symptom not a problem. It indicates that something is out of balance and its always better to fix the problem rather than madk the symptoms.

What lighting do you have? How big is the tank? Do you dose ferts? What are your nitrate values? What types of plants do you have and how densely planted?

I have a72 gal bow almost heavy planted. I have two t5 a 10k and the pink bulb for lighting. I'm dosing all the ferts from seachem. Iron potassium phosphorate comprehensive excel.

I do water changes weekly so the levels of nitrate nitrite ph and ammonia stay in balance

I just went and checked for your lighting. I'm no expert but I'm wondering if your overdosing the ferts with respect to your lighting. I'm used to light planted tanks with very tec. But I've been reading alot about lights recently and 2 T5HO doesn't seem like alot of light for a tank that size (its about 21" high right?).

How good is the reflector behind your light bulbs? The reason I ask is because that can make a huge difference in light levels. Check out the following which talks about different light outputs.

Aqua Botanic's Aqua Bloggin » How to gauge lighting for the planted aquarium

Are you using any particular dosing method for the ferts?
Maybe just use comprehensive for a week see if that makes a difference. This is just me mind but I only add the other seachem products if my plants are showing signs of a specific deficiency (clear leaves on my watersprite=add iron for example). Phosphate in particular can lead to algal blooms.

I'm going to follow this thread because I haven't had to deal with big algal blooms since I started having plants in my tanks and I'm curious to see what ends up working for you.

My light is from Wave Point. The bulbs are two Tropical wave 6500k, 1 red wave, and a sun wave 1200k. The light is new.

Now on the ferts. Basically ur telling me not to dose at all. Just to dose the comprehensive?? And iron?

I'm train of thought is that algae is related to having more nutrients in the tank than the plants can use. This is widely understood in the scientific literature. Just google algal blooms and phosphate to see what excess fertilizer run off can do.

So you either increase how much your plants grow and thus how much nutrients they use or you decrease the amount of nutrients entering the system. As you said you are keeping the nitrate low (this is why I asked what your nitrate value was) then it must be the ferts adding too much nutrients.

Comprehensive is a good all round fert formulated with balanced nutrient concentrations. This is why I recommended continued dosing once or twice a week.

I would only add the others if your plants look like they need them. Plants can tell you a lot. Leaves changing colour/ and growth patterns can tell you if your deficient in a specific nutrient. I used the water sprite and iron as an example of what I look for. Generally you just need to google the plant name and what your seeing and you'll find resources telling you what the issue is and how to rectify it.

The other solution as I said is to increase plant output. Which in your case maybe switching from excel to a co2 injection. Ive never done this so you'd have to look elsewhere for advice.

Should I prune all the leaves that have the green dots algae?? The sale is on the melon swords, amazon sword. The melon sword has in all the leaves

jacpr233 said:
Should I prune all the leaves that have the green dots algae?? The sale is on the melon swords, amazon sword. The melon sword has in all the leaves

No only if the leaves are disintegrating. I have heard of using bleach or peroxide dips. If you do I'd do only the worse plants. Check this out:
http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1445
I've never done this so I'd research it. Also, be very sure you have all the bleach off the plants. Prime is your friend!

Remember in a planted tank a lot of bb is on your plants so don't do all at once but it may help.

FishontheRock said:
No only if the leaves are disintegrating. I have heard of using bleach or peroxide dips. If you do I'd do only the worse plants. Check this out:
http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1445
I've never done this so I'd research it. Also, be very sure you have all the bleach off the plants. Prime is your friend!

Remember in a planted tank a lot of bb is on your plants so don't do all at once but it may help.

I'm doing the water change today. How much should I do? And should I scrape the algae first and the water change? Or should I leave the algae alone

I'm doing the water change today. How much should I do? And should I scrape the algae first and the water change? Or should I leave the algae alone

Do some research on this. I've never done it as I said. I'd use google and find and read as many articles/forum posts as I could.

Back
Top Bottom