UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.sam

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about getting the Coralife turbo twist 3x uv sterilizer for my 90 gallon tank but was wondering first if it is even worth getting. At the local pet shop I go to they have one on there 150 gallon tank. When I asked the guy what's the purpose of it he couldn't really tell me so I looked it up myself. I like that it helps with algae control and that it helps maintain water clarity so in that aspect I want it. Second I have the fluval 405 canister filter with an inline heater and inline atomic C02 diffuser and I'm wondering if it would be a wise idea to also put in the inline sterilizer. Question: is this a wise idea to put all of it on the discharge side of my filter. If i can what would be the best order,heater first then diffuser, then the sterilizer or does it even matter.

it's a long term investment if you ask me and a good addition for big fish tanks. the sterilizer does work without you knowing about it as time passes by. definitely worth the money upfront.

That's a loaded question. Some say yes others no. I had one and I didn't see anything as far as crystal clear water or pristine water etc etc. me personally? I think it's a waste of money.

Here's my tank with no UV, not sure I can get any clearer. I'll save my money...

img_2477495_0_f949621bbf2420b1299d2b062a87799a.jpg

img_2477495_1_8e74b6dae9600cff563e7ba5ab112a57.jpg

Your question is more about placement than efficacy, correct? I think you're right about putting it on outflow if your canister. On the inflow, I would be worried about it getting dirtier quicker.

Your question is more about placement than efficacy, correct? I think you're right about putting it on outflow if your canister. On the inflow, I would be worried about it getting dirtier quicker.

I figured it would have to be on the discharge side but should I put it right after the filter. I do have an inline heater and diffuser also attached to the the discharge side. Im worried about for example placing it right after the heater will that wormer water affect the sterilizer or if I was to put it after the diffuser will the sterilizer have a negative affect on on the C02

The sterilizer won't have an effect on co2 or the heater.
The co2 probably won't affect the either the UV or the heater, but might have some corrosive effects.
The heater will probably decrease the diffusion of co2. Whether or not its significant, I'm not sure.

I figured it would go on the discharge side of my filter. What I'm worried about is the placement. I also have an inline heater and atomic diffuser on that line. For example if I was to put it after the heater should I be worried about that wormer water passing though the sterilizer? Would there be a negative affect if the C02 coming from my diffuser was to pass through it? The guy at the pet store said he wouldn't put it on my filter since I have so much already on it but he also couldn't tell me the purpose of a UV sterilizer so I'm really going to rely on what he has to say

What are your thought on a UV sterilizer is it worth the money or not. Still getting mixed reviews on it

If you're using an atomizer, its not really going to affect co2 that much because much of the dissolving happens in the tank rather than in your filter line as would be the case with a reactor. I would say at this point that how you can most conveniently plumb your system would dictate your choices more than what works best.

As far as how effective it is... It's good for treating/preventing SOME algae types, good for fixing temporary cloudy water, but unlike what most people believe, it's not particularly useful at preventing or treating parasites in the way that most people use it. It's great as a reactionary cure for green water or some diseases though. If you've got one, I would probably use it, but if you're considering purchasing one without a definite purpose, I would consider what other things you might invest in before deciding to get it.

I will say though that its better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

I'm sorry... I thought part of the question however small it was... "Was it even worth getting?" Meaning.... Is it worth even buying the unit to begin with... Then my answer to "part" of the question is this. Save your self the money.

On placement end such I'll let Aqua continue to assist you...

Something to take into consideration if you do get one is you need to find out what the max flow rate of water through the UV can be. I have Fluval 406's and their GPH rate is too high for most UV's to run efficiently. For a UV you want a slow water flow. The slower the flow the better they work for sterilizing. A higher flow is more for clairifying and less sterilizing. If the flow through the unit is too fast they aren't much good. I run one on my 220g because I already had the UV unit. I don't run them on any of my other tanks.

What are your thought on a UV sterilizer is it worth the money or not. Still getting mixed reviews on it

The thing is in my experience you have to get the biggest uv system your money can afford there are different stages of uv sterilization starting from stage one when you buy a uv just big enough for your tank it will reduce algea within the water column and stage four which is a uv kit double the size needed for your tank that will kill many parasites such as ich and will not give you crystal clear water it will polish your water meaning it looks like your tank has no water in it at all like your fish are floating in a glass box of nothing I have a 600l uv system for my 300l tank and my honest opinion is I would never ever go back to not having it! I haven't had to deal with any illnesses what so ever and had no algea problems at all for the last six months considering this is a discus tank were talking about that is a penny well spent. My advice is buy it try it and you will love the benefits just make sure you research the different stages of uv sterilization and choose which one you can afford and fit under your cabinet haha!

That's what I'm talking about. I also have a discus and ram tank. I know both of those fish are very sensitive and the look you described is what I'm going for. Thanks for all the advice you've given me a lot to look up and think about

That's what I'm talking about. I also have a discus and ram tank. I know both of those fish are very sensitive and the look you described is what I'm going for. Thanks for all the advice you've given me a lot to look up and think about

Here's a pic side view so you can see how clear it is I done a water change only one hour ago but still it is perfectly clear...

image-4135222905.jpg

Back
Top Bottom