Vacation and my poor planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going on a two-week vacation on Friday, and my wife's mother and sister will be looking after the tank while I'm gone. This is the first time away from my tank since I went fully planted. It eats through nitrates and phosphorous like nobody's business. I've been using Seachem's liquid ferts, and am wondering about keeping my plants happy while I'm away. Asking them to dose my tank my way (take measurements and add accordingly) is out of the question, and I'm trying to think of the easiest way to do it.

Do I A. Prepare estimated doses in little dated cups (I bought them for all the different fish foods I have to use, ok?) based on current usage, and have them add it that way, B. figure out a good minimum amount to maintain the plants and measure it out in cups, or C. leave the plants alone for two weeks and cut out the die-off when I come back (oh man I'm already having nightmares of algae if it's C).

I agree with B...minimum is always preferable over maximum.
C is out of the question based on your note that the plants are hungry for their nutrients. Algae taking over the tank...and plant die-off is just unacceptable.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

PS - You can call in and ask what the condition is if possible. Babysitters are used to that...right?

I did C when I went to Japan for two weeks. My plants hurt bad. It took me awhile to get the plants healthy again. Also, I grew a new kind of algae I hadn't seen before that is still hanging around.

But... at least as a worst case scenario it's not so bad. Your plants won't completely die... especially if they're somewhat healthy when you leave.

another option, is to reduce the amount of lighting (not duration, but intensity). 2 weeks at half normal lighting shouldn't bother too many plants, though foreground plants (esp. glosso) will grow leggy, reaching up to the light. Combine that with less fert dosing and you shouldn't get into too much trouble. If using Flourish ferts you could just use the label dosing...as it's designed for a lower light setup.

Thanks for the opinions, I'll go with B. Unfortunately I have 1 96W PC bulb, so there's no way to cut down on the lights.

That lighting is hard to get around... will your DIY CO2 hold out?

I usually change a bottle once a week just out of habit, but one bottle of my mixture could last for a month if I needed it to--so it will be fine.

place paper towels under the lights to reduce their intensity. :idea: ...i read it somewhere, but forgot where. it was really a great article though on how to grow plants on a student budget.

Back
Top Bottom