vacuuming planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdmLuzon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
just wondering if you have a planted rank how often do you do gravel vacuum?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank Vacuuming

just wondering if you have a planted rank how often do you do gravel vacuum?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello jdm...

I don't ever vacuum my planted tanks. Here's the reason: Everything that goes into the tank water dissolves at some point, everything. The organic material that collects on the bottom material is very good for the plants. As it dissolves in the water, the nutrients produced are used by your plants. Excess nutrients are removed through large, weekly water changes, so there's no time for wastes to build to toxic levels.

Just remove and replace half the tank water every week or two and your fish and plants will be healthy.

B

Hello jdm...

I don't ever vacuum my planted tanks. Here's the reason: Everything that goes into the tank water dissolves at some point, everything. The organic material that collects on the bottom material is very good for the plants. As it dissolves in the water, the nutrients produced are used by your plants. Excess nutrients are removed through large, weekly water changes, so there's no time for wastes to build to toxic levels.

Just remove and replace half the tank water every week or two and your fish and plants will be healthy.

B

You don't wanna be doing large water changes weekly if you don't have a high tech set up though, the fluctuation in co2 will cause an algae issue.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's not true. Just because you don't have a high tech tank doesn't mean you shouldn't be doing large water changes.

Water Changes

You don't wanna be doing large water changes weekly if you don't have a high tech set up though, the fluctuation in co2 will cause an algae issue.

Hello Hub...

Never heard of large, frequent water changes being bad for a tank of any kind that holds fish and plants or anything else that's alive. By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water though the tank, you establish a system similar to that in nature. A constant entrance for the flow of pure water and an exit for dissolved wastes.

B

Simply dont agree with this at all!!

Large weekly water changes are always a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Re vacuuming a planted tank - would you say don't vacuum only if it's heavily planted? I would say mine is light to medium planted at this point. (I will post pic).

Also, what about if you have cories? I was told you need to keep the substrate really clean if you have them so have been vacuuming mine regularly.

If I notice the fish kicking up huge "dust clouds", then I do a little vacuuming. Just some quick surface passes though, nothing deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom