Val + Excel = Melt???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have read that excel will make my val "melt"? But I have also hear that If you do not use the recommended dosage or do not use it everyday it is ok to use with a val.

IF i decide to get some excel, CAN and HOW OFTEN can i use it with my Val?

anyone have any person experiences they can share?

They say to just use a half dose, or every other day. I think it might depend on the vals also. I'm currently dosing full dose every day in my 29G, and I have corkscrew vals, and they are doing wonderfully now. And I do not inject CO2, and have 3W/G. The only vals I have melting are the ones I did a bleach dip on for algae treatment. The others where I just rinsed in tap water are doing great, even with the full dose of Excel everyday.

Lonewolfblue said:
They say to just use a half dose, or every other day. I think it might depend on the vals also. I'm currently dosing full dose every day in my 29G, and I have corkscrew vals, and they are doing wonderfully now. And I do not inject CO2, and have 3W/G. The only vals I have melting are the ones I did a bleach dip on for algae treatment. The others where I just rinsed in tap water are doing great, even with the full dose of Excel everyday.
so basicly you are saying it is trial and error. Try full dose, if they start to melt cut back on the dose.

I have had the same results as Wolf. It did not effect my corkscrewss at all. You may want to try every other day at first and see how the plants react to it.

No, not trial and error. Once they start melting, there's no recovery usually. If you aren't sure, then just put in a couple vals and try. If it works out, then you can add more. But don't do trial and error with all your vals.

Another option is starting with a half dose, then if all looks well, add a little more. With my vals, I was just doing trial and error because I don't have all the vals in the tank. If all goes well, will move more over to my 29G from my 75G.

also, how heavily planted are you? If just lightly, you wouldn't need a full dose anyways.

Lonewolfblue said:
No, not trial and error. Once they start melting, there's no recovery usually. If you aren't sure, then just put in a couple vals and try. If it works out, then you can add more. But don't do trial and error with all your vals.

Another option is starting with a half dose, then if all looks well, add a little more. With my vals, I was just doing trial and error because I don't have all the vals in the tank. If all goes well, will move more over to my 29G from my 75G.

also, how heavily planted are you? If just lightly, you wouldn't need a full dose anyways.
ok, I only have 1 val and i am not heavily planted. I will start out with a dose every other day.

Since you are not heavily planted, then I'm thinking you wouldn't want a full dose every day anyways. Would be ok, but also be a waste of money, as I think the Excel you put in the tank is only good for like 24 hours, and your plants wouldn't use it all anyways. My 26G isn't heavily planted now, as I tore out most of the java moss, and I only do a full dose 4 days a week. And since my 29G is lightly planted, I'm doing 1/2 dose 4 days a week. Once I start getting a little more in my 29G, will up the dosing.

Back
Top Bottom