Various problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have multiple problems/questions!

Here's my info: 60g long, mature tank, community fish, 2xT5ho 54w bulbs and 2 x 15w planted tank bulbs so 138 watts total. I dose 7ml of PPS Pro daily plus 15ml metricide (neat). Params all normal. 76 degrees. ph 8. 50% PWC weekly.

1. My hygras are full of holes. I read that's due to either low potassium or co2. I dose PPS Pro daily but am also adding extra potassium (flourish bottle). 15ml of metricide seems like it should be enough carbon? So why am I still getting holes in the hygros? It's mainly the lower leaves but even the higher ones too.

2. Also, my java ferns are all black. (They are tied to a log so it's not that the rhizome is buried).

3. My star grass was growing well. Then my fish kept dying - on TPT I was told I was dosing way too much glut so and that it could have been killing my fish. I cut back on the glut and it killed my star grass. I rescued a few buds and replanted them and I've now gone back to the same level of glut but the star grass is just not growing at all. Any ideas?

4. Also, my fish still keep dying. Have now lost another 2. I did a post before and no one can figure out the cause. Thought I'd add it to the list in case anyone has a suggestion.

5. Do you think the hygra/fern problem a lack of co2/carbon? If so I really don't want to use more glut - I may just get pressurized co2 if people think that's the issue.

Any thoughts?

How long is your photoperiod? You didn't add the activator bottle to the glut did you? I honestly do think pressurized CO2 will do way better for your plants in general than liquid carbon.

Hygro is a major potassium hog, you'd be better off adjusting the pps mix to suit, seachem is rather diluted. As for the glut (metricide) I've found a major major discrepancy between the two forums views on glut, excel, not saying anyone is right or wrong, tpt is like too smart for me, I've been explained in great depth as to why and how I should have nuked my tanks 1000 times? I don't know, I will hazard to say that the 15 ml of metricide has nothing to do with the death of your fish. Assuming the activator was thrown out of course. The java fern is probably getting scorched, really has no place under that lighting. i feel poor stock and feeding (fish will thrive with a well balanced diet) is a likely candidate for fish death because I'm pretty sure you've got your water in check? I remember you;) I totally agree with Brian on the co2, changed my life..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Posting a picture of the plants would be helpful. I am posting a link for you to look at on plant deficiencies... http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98529

When you say holes do they start out as small pin holes in the leaves which grow over time? That indicates a potassium deficiency. Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels? Some fast growing plants like Hydro use a lot more nutrients and if your levels are low this could account for it's problem. Also glut increases growth and photosynthesis which means the plants will need even more nutrients. I've used glut for many years and have dosed as high as 1ml glut to every 3/4 gallon of water without fish loss. Heck I have fish that spawn in those levels. Now there are a small number of fish species and shrimp that are sensitive to liquid carbons but most do just fine with even higher levels.

As for the java fern your lighting isn't too strong. I have a 55g with 2 T5HO lights and a Build my LED fixture, using liquid carbon only, and the Java Ferns are growing right up to the surface of the water directly under the lights and doing great. I have found the do much better with levels of phosphate around 2-3ppm. Java fern leaves also turn black/brown when they begin to grow sprout baby plants from the leaves. If the plant looks too awful for your liking and the rhizome is good, you can simply cut all the leaves off and wait for all new leaves to sprout. It will take some time so you have to be patient. I've grown them in tanks with CO2, without it, with liquid carbon, and in tanks without it. In tanks with high to low lights and they do well. I personally have found nutrient levels seen to effect them more than anything, although I will concede that in tanks with pressurized CO2 they grow fast and beautifully.

Stargrass IMO is a pain. If you only have some small pieces left try floating them for awhile, letting them develop roots and do some growing before trying to plant them.

The fish issue indicates something is off in your tank. What type of stock do you have? What type of fish keep dying? Are you QT'ing new fish before adding them to the tank? Do the fish show any type of symptoms? Have you treated the fish with any med's or medicated foods?

How long is your photoperiod? You didn't add the activator bottle to the glut did you? I honestly do think pressurized CO2 will do way better for your plants in general than liquid carbon.

3 hours, 2 hour break then 4 hours. No I didn't use the activator.

Hygro is a major potassium hog, you'd be better off adjusting the pps mix to suit, seachem is rather diluted. As for the glut (metricide) I've found a major major discrepancy between the two forums views on glut, excel, not saying anyone is right or wrong, tpt is like too smart for me, I've been explained in great depth as to why and how I should have nuked my tanks 1000 times? I don't know, I will hazard to say that the 15 ml of metricide has nothing to do with the death of your fish. Assuming the activator was thrown out of course. The java fern is probably getting scorched, really has no place under that lighting. i feel poor stock and feeding (fish will thrive with a well balanced diet) is a likely candidate for fish death because I'm pretty sure you've got your water in check? I remember you;) I totally agree with Brian on the co2, changed my life..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes water is good. 50% weekly changed. Maybe stock but I didn't ever have problems before so it's weird. I had virtually zero deaths for 18 months and then suddenly about 8 in a couple of months. Sounds like I need to try co2.....just a bit scared of it! I am reading up on it now though.....

Posting a picture of the plants would be helpful. I am posting a link for you to look at on plant deficiencies... Plant deficiency diagram

When you say holes do they start out as small pin holes in the leaves which grow over time? That indicates a potassium deficiency. Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels? Some fast growing plants like Hydro use a lot more nutrients and if your levels are low this could account for it's problem. Also glut increases growth and photosynthesis which means the plants will need even more nutrients. I've used glut for many years and have dosed as high as 1ml glut to every 3/4 gallon of water without fish loss. Heck I have fish that spawn in those levels. Now there are a small number of fish species and shrimp that are sensitive to liquid carbons but most do just fine with even higher levels.

As for the java fern your lighting isn't too strong. I have a 55g with 2 T5HO lights and a Build my LED fixture, using liquid carbon only, and the Java Ferns are growing right up to the surface of the water directly under the lights and doing great. I have found the do much better with levels of phosphate around 2-3ppm. Java fern leaves also turn black/brown when they begin to grow sprout baby plants from the leaves. If the plant looks too awful for your liking and the rhizome is good, you can simply cut all the leaves off and wait for all new leaves to sprout. It will take some time so you have to be patient. I've grown them in tanks with CO2, without it, with liquid carbon, and in tanks without it. In tanks with high to low lights and they do well. I personally have found nutrient levels seen to effect them more than anything, although I will concede that in tanks with pressurized CO2 they grow fast and beautifully.

Stargrass IMO is a pain. If you only have some small pieces left try floating them for awhile, letting them develop roots and do some growing before trying to plant them.

The fish issue indicates something is off in your tank. What type of stock do you have? What type of fish keep dying? Are you QT'ing new fish before adding them to the tank? Do the fish show any type of symptoms? Have you treated the fish with any med's or medicated foods?

Yes I will get a pic and post. Will do that shortly. Yes the holes start small and get bigger until the whole leaf is virtually gone. I had read that was potassium deficiency but thought since I use PPS Pro and add extra potassium that was enough but maybe not! I don't know my potassium or phosphate levels (I will look into a kit) but do know that nitrates are 10ppm which I think is on the low side?

Re the java ferns - ok thanks maybe I just need to up nutrients again. I have a 60g so probably about 50g of water and am dosing 7ml a day and it's not crazy heavily planted or anything so I thought that was enough but maybe it's the hygros sapping all the nutrients! Thanks - I will up the ferts.

Re the fish - I have community stock. Neons, glow lights, julii cories, a swordtail, scissor tail rasboras, Australian rainbows, a molly, some guppies.

Those that have died include: 2 cories, a neon tetra, a dwarf gourami, a swordtail, 2 guppies, 2 mollies. So not all one kind - a variety. Yes I QT new fish and of course don't add them until they look all good after a few weeks. I didn't treat with anything as most of the time I couldn't see anything I'd treat for. The cories just one day were stuck to the filter (different times), no prior sign of problem. A guppy had a really bloated stomach for weeks and I tried peas for constipation but no good. One of them did have dropsy - that I was able to diagnose. Right now my molly has cloudy eye. The gourami - no signs of disease just started looking sad and not swimming around and finally died.

Thanks for all the input so far my fishy friends.....

One member had mysterious deaths and contacted the water dept. the tap water had some random stuff in it during summer that killed off the fish.

I once had a husband use my Fish Only bucket for cleaner. He's still alive. Just not near my fish.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom