Vegetarian Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acewiza

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to go with a planted tank for the goldfish this winter - I know big mistake. I had swords, 2 kinds of moss and another plant I forgot what it was already. They are eating everything but the Swords! And they are Well Fed with normal goldfish food, trust me.

Can anybody suggest plants they will not eat?

TIA!

Huh... I'll see about some research for you. I was talking to a fellow fish guy at the lfs the other day. He keeps goldfish. He was dropping some off for storage for the winter as he has an outdoor planted pond... his goldfish have lived about 5 years in his pond and they were huge! No they weren't coy if anyone thinks I'm mistaken. You should have seen the sizes of the plecos he dropped off.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok found this article... another says duckweed!!! And lots of it... to distract them from other plants until they are largenough to withstand munching. http://thegoldfishtank.com/plants-with-goldfish/
Basically it says that you need fast growing plants that you can tie to rocks in the substrate so they don't get uprooted. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Duckweed It Is!

Yes, I found they like the Duckweed a few months ago when I started giving it to them from my feeder tank. They are pretty big, as goldfish go, being 3 and a half years old now, averaging around 6" in length. Apparently I don't have enough Duckweed coming through the supply chain to keep them happy. And yes, uprooting is what I've seen since they've been in the new planted tank, with smaller and smaller pieces of the plants floating around. Only the swords seem unharmed. :banghead:

They do eat lots of veggies/aka plants. Yes, they gobble up Duckweed fast!

So did they eat everything?

[Betting a large number of people probably feed too much protein to them and that is why they get bloat, constipation - there are many GF foods that contain lots of fillers, maybe not enough vitamins and green foods.]

You have pretty healthy fish though, right? ;)

Everything but the Sword plants. It was some java and fire moss and another one, all gone but bits floating about now. And yes the fish seem quite healthy and plump. I knew the risk from seeing them nibbling on water hyacinth in the pond. Guess it was just one of those "learning experiences." I'll try more regular food and maybe re-plant if I can find something they don't like, or maybe just more swords. I think a little variety makes for a better looking tank.

I fed mine
Romaine
Cucumber
Zucchini
Orange slices
Algae wafers.

Fancy Goldfish ? No floating food at all. Sinking pellets or presoaked flakes as well as the greens/veggies.

Anubias are good GF tank plants. Thick and don't taste good.

You can buy or DIY a veggie clip

Great info, Corsair! I have included cucumber and zucchini in their diet for years. Now I just need some Anubia.

Many thanks! (y)

The Anubias Solution

So I got a couple of Anubias. Caught the buggers trying to dig them up less than an hour later! Here's my solution - Landscape Rocks:

Anubias.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of planted tanks? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got a couple of Anubias. Caught the buggers trying to dig them up less than an hour later! Here's my solution - Landscape Rocks:

Anubias.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of planted tanks? :D

I can't see your pic, but Anubias don't get "planted". Tie or glue to wood or rocks or decor. Same for Java Ferns.

If you do plant them don't cover the Rhizome ( thick horizontal Root).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

2 days on and so far, so good. Maybe I'll get a planted tank going for these guys after all! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom