"Very Low" Light plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Professor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Basically I need something for my 10 gal in my bedroom I have some 3 plastic plants in it. But I feel like not buying more new "plastic plants" for the tank.

The tank has been established and is stable for 1 month, has 4 flame tetras, 4 serpae tetras, and 1 Male Betta.
Need more decor in the tank I was wondering if I can get some "VERY LOW" Light Plants?

The tank lighting is 15 watts. I know I need better lighting, and lighting breaks down in smaller tanks.
But I just need some "VERY LOW" Lighting plants. What are some that I can get? If there are such plants?

Thanks
~Mp

Probably none. LFS are not prime shopping ground for plants. You may want to give Aquabid.com a try. Usually a good supply of plants available there.

The other option is to bookmark and watch the barter/trade classifieds section here. Members post available plants almost weekly.

Is there another site that I can order or buy plants other than aquabid, becuase most of them are outside of the states.

I'm a beginner, so maybe you can tell me whats best for a 10 gal with a 15watt lighting?

Check out PlantGeek's Plant Guide. Anythink listed as low light should be fine in your tank. You'll just want to make sure that you pick varieties that are appropriately sized for your tank. Mostly you're looking at Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and Crypts.

For Aquabid, Lowcoaster is located in the states and is highly recommended by several members here. If you want to go for a more standard shop front, I've had great luck with AquariumPlants.com. You're best bet is still going to be checking out the Barter Trade sections. Lots of members will send out clippings for free, just the cost of shipping, or a minimal charge and shipping. Any of these three is a great deal, and you'll usually get a large quantity.

I've had some luck finding low light stuff in stores. I can usually find java fern at petsmart and sometimes java moss as well. I found my anubias nana at petland too.

Honestly though, with as cheap as priority mail shipping is, ordering online (from aquabid) can actually be cheaper. I'll give a recomendation as well to Lowcoaster. Fantastic looking plants and a pleasure to deal with. I've dealt with some other stateside plant vendors on aquabid as well with good results.

No mention of anacharis? That's usually the only plant I see in ALL the lfs I visit... good luck on making the switch; plastic plants are just plain ugly, imo. :)

Dwarf sags are another plant that do well in that amount of light. I planted a couple of bunches and they spread like wildfire in a few months. Of course how they are fertilized, and the type of substrate used, can make a big difference in the growth rate. I had Flourite as the only substrate in one tank and dosed with Flourish and Flourish Excel.

Back
Top Bottom