Very new to plants?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have canister filters on my 5 gal tanks... so no, not crazy.

What is your budget like? I like specialized plant substrates, but they aren't required by any means. If you are on a budget, Pool filter sand works great for planted tanks.

I have PFS (pool filter sand) in all of my tanks... but one has potting soil under it. I love it. But, some prefer specialized substrates. For me, <$10 for 50lbs of sand, a few bucks for root tabs... that makes more sense than $20 for 5-10lbs of special stuff... but to each their own

I am a teenager (I have no bills and I have a job) I don't want to break bank but this is the only hoby I have and I am willing to spend some money for a good reliable filter that will last me a long time. After I buy the actual filter I don't want to spend more than 100$ a month on media to go into the canister. Is that reasonable?

lol well you won't be able to fill it with gold nuggets...

You won't spend more than $5 a month over the course of a year. I replace filter media maybe 3 times a year (just the mechanical media, never the bio media).

That is great to hear.. in the long run it would be cheaper to run then my penguin HOB!? How much would a good canister filter cost for a 35 gallon tank?

i dont ever replace media... my canisters are all (with the exception of 1) 2 years old and the media is still good as new... minus the brown stain from filtering the water. Just rinse them off every week. No need for carbon or anything that has to be replaced.

EDIT: A Rena XP2 would run you about $120... but gives you much better filtration, the ability to run an inline heater, co2 reactor if you ever get in to the high light plant world (which you will), and is much quieter than HOBs... You could also check out Fluval 305 and Eheim 2224

I would say $100 could get you something that would work extremely well.

i dont ever replace media... my canisters are all (with the exception of 1) 2 years old and the media is still good as new... minus the brown stain from filtering the water. Just rinse them off every week. No need for carbon or anything that has to be replaced.

yeah, I agree.. the only thing I have had to replace are the water polishing pads, which aren't a requirement. The original media that comes with it is still in there. I just ring it out once a month or so in old tank water and pop it back in.

What about noise level? The tank is in my bedroom (my parents don't share the same love for fish)?

If you were in my shoes what would you do with my tank? I know that I will have a fish tank all the time in my life I also know at some point I am going to want to go salt water. Is there a filter that can filter salt and freshwater? ( at seperate times of corse)

If I had the money, I would get a canister, ditch the HOB, ditch the UGF, and turn my tank into plant heaven (but then again I have a sickness for that kind of thing).

Agree with rook, with my eheim canisters, I cannot even tell they are running unless I put my hand on them. They are as quiet as can be. Silent.

As far as converting to salt, it really depends on what kind of saltwater tank. A lot of people use canisters on SW tanks, but a lot of people recommend against it in favor of a sump/fuge type setup. Nitrates + SW can be very bad... a little nitrate in a FW tank is not nearly as detrimental. This is all hearsay by the way... I am not a SW guy, so for those questions you will want to post in the SW forums to get first hand knowledge. Rook could answer better than me... he has done salt in the past.

If I get rid of the UGF and HOB, and get a canister would my tank do well for plants. I look at pictures of planted tanks on line and they are magnificent.... does mine have the correct components to have the potential to become a lush green heaven!

If you replace the gravel with sand or plant substrate, I think you will be well on your way. If you are talking high tech, carpet plants, etc etc, there is more to it than what we have covered so far. I am not super familiar with your lighting, but I think from what I have read it is pretty much medium light on your size tank. To get to some of the more advanced plants, you would need to look into injecting CO2, higher lighting, and along with that comes serious nutrient imbalances (meaning you have to dose fertilizers very regularly). It also takes a lot of artistic touch, and a lot of trimming. I have been at it for awhile, and still can't come close to duplicating the iwagumi and aquascaping contest winner layouts you see out there.

That being said, with what you have and are planning, you can have a very successful planted tank. It doesn't all have to be about high light, demanding plants... and it would be better to start where you are headed anyway. High tech tanks are great... but things can happen in a hurry with them, and nothing good happens quickly in an aquarium.

Thank you both so much for all you help! (This is the first chat I have had about aquariums) I am going to deeply consider geting an Eheim 2224 for my tank and ditching the UGF. Thanks again

Any time! Glad to have you aboard here. Feel free to ask more questions as you get further into it. This is a wonderful resource that has helped me tremendously. Best of luck.

By the way fort is your profile picture a picture of your aquarium if so it is magnificent!!

It is indeed... there are more pics linked in my signature of my other tanks. And thanks for the compliment!

Back
Top Bottom