Very stupid question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I know this kinda a stupid question, but having a Marimo moss ball in your tank considered a "planted" tank? thanks!

I wouldn't really say planted. I kept a banana plant for years and nothing else in the tank was planted, and looking back, I don't feel it was a planted tank, though there was a plant in there.

Are you interested in creating a planted tank? It is really pretty easy to do. Moderate cost as long as you have a bulb which supports plants. About $15-20. for a plant friendly/growing long CFL. A Daylight spiral bulb can cost $3-5.

Marimo Moss balls are really interesting. Yes I like watching Moss grow!

Those moss balls are really a type of algae. Thus, the question is whether algae is a plant. So then I started racking my brain trying to remember whether algae is a subtype of a plant, then gave up and Googled it. I couldn't quickly find an authoritative conclusion, just lots of conflicting conclusions.

Not a stupid question at all.

Those moss balls are really a type of algae. Thus, the question is whether algae is a plant. So then I started racking my brain trying to remember whether algae is a subtype of a plant, then gave up and Googled it. I couldn't quickly find an authoritative conclusion, just lots of conflicting conclusions.

Not a stupid question at all.

Thank you for looking into it for me :) I guess it does come down to if algae is a plant or not. I would think that it is a plant, but I have read that some people think its not :confused: Oh well!

I wouldn't really say planted. I kept a banana plant for years and nothing else in the tank was planted, and looking back, I don't feel it was a planted tank, though there was a plant in there.

Are you interested in creating a planted tank? It is really pretty easy to do. Moderate cost as long as you have a bulb which supports plants. About $15-20. for a plant friendly/growing long CFL. A Daylight spiral bulb can cost $3-5.

Marimo Moss balls are really interesting. Yes I like watching Moss grow!

I have thought of adding plants, but do you need a special type of soil/gravel? Also, would I need to add a CO2 injector?

Here's a summary of what I read.

Yes it is (blah, blah... technical jargon)

No it is not (blah, blah... more jargon)

Sometimes it is (blah, blah....)

It used to be (blah, blah...)

The lack of consensus was actually pretty amusing to read.

Nope, you don't need a special substrate, co2, or ferts for a planted tank. All you need is some light and plants :)

Anubias, java moss, java fern, bolbitis, some crypts (with root tabs), amazon sword (with root tabs), and possibly water sprite are all plants you could use in a low light tank.

These are all planted using sand and the 72G is Eco Complete, not really any more cost than gravel, if you get it online.

This was in kwikcrete sand
60074-albums9317-picture53762.jpg

eco and Petco sand
60074-albums9764-picture59828.jpg

Almost all ecocomplete
60074-albums11380-picture57008.jpg

Flourish and or Aqueon Plant food, liquid. Some occasionally used substrate fert capsules. Easy as long as you get low light plants with a good bulb.

These are all planted using sand and the 72G is Eco Complete, not really any more cost than gravel, if you get it online.

This was in kwikcrete sand
60074-albums9317-picture53762.jpg

eco and Petco sand
60074-albums9764-picture59828.jpg

Almost all ecocomplete
60074-albums11380-picture57008.jpg

Flourish and or Aqueon Plant food, liquid. Some occasionally used substrate fert capsules. Easy as long as you get low light plants with a good bulb.

Wow you have a very beautiful tank! Thank you for the info! I think I might wait a while to put more plants in.

Wow you have a very beautiful tank! Thank you for the info! I think I might wait a while to put more plants in.

Thank you. It is really worth it and the fish will LOVE them. But when you are ready, you can always post on the classifieds for some trimmings from a member, many times for just the cost of shipping. When the weather warms up people will ship more frequently.

Here's a summary of what I read.

Yes it is (blah, blah... technical jargon)

No it is not (blah, blah... more jargon)

Sometimes it is (blah, blah....)

It used to be (blah, blah...)

The lack of consensus was actually pretty amusing to read.

LOVE!!!!!! Lmbo

Back
Top Bottom