Want Java moss, need opinions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johny

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of adding some java moss to our tank. I would like some live plants and really like the looks of java moss. From the reading I have done it would be an easy way to break into the realm of planted tanks. I have several large lava rocks in the tank already, that I would attach the Java Moss to.

I will attach some pictures so you can see what I am talking about, but I am wondering if the moss would only grow on the top, side aspects of the rocks? Or would the moss envelope the rocks (bottom aspects of the "arches" as well)?

I wouldn't want to totally block the arches, because I would like the fish to be able to swim through and I wouldn't want to take up all that space. The fake plants would be removed/rearranged.

For right now this is just wishful thinking, I don't have the funds to do anything right now, but I would appreciate anyone's opinion. Thanks.

1st 3 pics are from the front side, the last is from the back side.

Attachments

• 100_2103.jpg
    100_2103.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_2104.jpg
    100_2104.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_2105.jpg
    100_2105.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Ya it's really east plant to grow all you have to do is tie it down with some fishing line or a rubber band and it will attach in 2 weeks or less. But be careful. When it grows it grows aaaalllll over the place

How hard would it be to remove from these rocks if I decided I wanted to get rid of it? Or would the rocks become permanent "moss balls"?

Good to know I could remove it easily if I wanted to.

What about the other aspect of my question. I know hiltymj said it grows everywhere, but I just want to clarify, will it grow up-side-down in the arches of the rocks? I don't want to occlude the arches/pathways. I guess I could always remove it in those areas if it did. Just curious.

What other mosses would work well?

Are there any that grow a little less thick/tall as java moss?

Yes it will grow upside down. I have some that completely covered a big piece of drift wood

Johny said:
What other mosses would work well?

Are there any that grow a little less thick/tall as java moss?

Christmas, or mini chistmas moss is good to add and the mini grows as its name implies. Java moss grows anywhere and can get longish, but it's a staple in all my tanks (BW tank too).

Good to know I could remove it easily if I wanted to.

What about the other aspect of my question. I know hiltymj said it grows everywhere, but I just want to clarify, will it grow up-side-down in the arches of the rocks? I don't want to occlude the arches/pathways. I guess I could always remove it in those areas if it did. Just curious.

It definitly will grow upside down, left right backwards forwards and will not die. but its pretty simpling to trim. i normally just use my fingernail to pinch it where i want it cut and and its done. thats all you have to do to keep your arch cleaned and fish friendly:D

Awesome. I appreciate the help. Not sure when I'll do anything to the tank, but at least I have the info to let my mind run a bit.
Thanks for the help.

momo said:
good luck johny!

Hey thanks momo! I've got tons of ideas in my head, so I'm sure you will all see more random questions from me.

Java moss takes to thinning/trimming well. So if it started to "plug" the archways, you can trim I back.

Back
Top Bottom