Want to get into ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaketravis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now all im doing is diy co2 and wish to start doing some ferts. I defiantly want to get dry ferts from what I have read looking for advice on where to get it and what to get as well as information on the subject. let me know what has worked for you guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok cool comes with both. Anyone els recommend where to get if from?

I did ALOT of reading and research real recent on this same subject....Green leaf aquariums was the best package deal...I chose the PPS PRO method...I am so glad I did...It will last me over a year!!....

If you are unsure I can send you a small sample via usps to try I would just need to know what method of dosing you would try

Wow you guys are awesome no need ill just get it my self and be sure to let you guys in on the results. Just wanted to hear where to get it sounds like the real deal here.

If you decide to pull the trigger on the dry ferts, like the PPS-Pro, you'll need a digital gram scale, funnel, cheap plastic cup, and excel to make your micro and macro solutions.

I got the digital gram scale from Amazon for less than $10. It had a tare function that you can substrate the weight of the plastic cup you're scooping the dry ferts into.

Excel is used (5ml to every 250ml) in the macro solution to help prevent mold.

Question. What's ur guys opinion on the estimated dosing or the pps dosing. Pros and cons. Because I want to get into dry certs as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok I have excel just need a scale. Would love to hear more about dosing maybe even refined doseing for types of plants. I have 2 swords an anubuis hair grass different grass I dont know what its call amd horn wort. Maybe you guys can help id the exact names here a picture. Ohhh and the jungle val

Attachments

• 1391891928180.jpg
    1391891928180.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 67
Hahah duck weed and the moss ball

Rivercats would be best to answer the modified PPS-Pro dosing for your tank. But from my perspective, your plants aren't that demanding. PPS-Pro would be the better fit, IMO, for this tank rather than EI. Also, I'd probably dose less than recommended each day or dose every other day or something. Sorry I'm not being precise, but for low light easy plants, that's how I do it and they thrive just fine. My higher lit tanks with CO2 and demanding plants, I dose daily and even a little more than recommended. I just adjust depending on how my plants are doing. Again, Rivercats would be able to give you particulars if she chimes in here (you can PM her if she doesn't).

For the swords, you'll need root tabs.

I just test before I dose also I separate the kno3(nitrate) from the rest of the frets to allow custom nitrate dosing. This is what I got right now.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391898649.673865.jpg

As for dry fert this $15 package is all you need and will last a couple years... http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html.

You need 3 dosing bottles found at the bottom of this page... http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html.

This is a good thread about dosing PPS-Pro. Only read the opening post not all the comments after it.... http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/39491-newbie-guide-pps-pro.html.

There are two things I do different from the article. First I use 3 dosing bottles as I split the macro nutrients for better custom dosing to the needs of the tank. Nitrates in one bottle, phosphates and potassium in one bottle, and micro's in the 3rd bottle. The other thing you'll notice the recipe calls for using MgSO4, magnesium sulfate, which you don't need if your gh is 4 or higher.

As for dosing I test my nitrate and phosphate levels each week right before a WC in order to see if I need to change the amount of phosphates or nitrates I'm dosing for the next week. You want to shoot for 10-20ppm nitrates and 1-3ppm phosphates. I rarely have to dose nitrates as my tanks tend to run at right about 10ppm nitrates weekly. You dose 1ml of each solution for every 10g of tank water. Test water weekly as I said and you can then adjust your dosing of macro's to the needs of you tank.

Soo I only have the api test kit what other testers do I need?

I test phosphate, nitrate, ph, gh, and kh weekly and have API liquid tests for those.

Back
Top Bottom