Want to start a 55G low tech tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

am3ience

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 55 gallon tank that I want to put live plants in, this is my first time trying a planted tank this big. The substrate is pool filter sand, and I have a 48" dual-bulb light fixture with no bulbs at the moment. I'm wanting to get a carpeting plant going, and some other nice low maintenance plants. I need recommendations to what kind of bulbs I should get. I don't have a CO2 system, so that isn't an option, and I would like to keep the algae as low as possible since I won't be putting any algae eaters in the tank. (gonna be a turtle tank, once I get some plants going). Any plant suggestions?

It is hard to get a successful carpet in a low light setup. You generally need co2 for a carpet and higher lighting. The easier plant for carpeting is dwarf sag

Hygro c., Wisteria, crypts, bacopa c., anubias, Amazon sword, hornwort, Val's, anarchis are al plants that can thrive in a low tech plants

It is hard to get a successful carpet in a low light setup. You generally need co2 for a carpet and higher lighting. The easier plant for carpeting is dwarf sag

Is it possible to get higher lighting with bulbs? or is that only accomplish-able with led? With higher lighting, i'm just worried about algae.

Algae is the result of an imbalance of ferts, co2 and light. Most go through it till they find the right balance normally it requires fiddling with the timer of lights and amount of co2. Either increasing or decreasing. If you want a carpet then you'd need a higher light I'm not to sure on what exactly is the best light for you. Maybe some one like brookster, fresh20 or Brian_nano can chime in and help you out.

Sometimes if there is too much ferts which is common for algae growth then either increasing the light time or adding a plant like anarchis that can float on the surface is enough to do the trick and prevent some algae growth.

Algae is the result of an imbalance of ferts, co2 and light. Most go through it till they find the right balance normally it requires fiddling with the timer of lights and amount of co2. Either increasing or decreasing. If you want a carpet then you'd need a higher light I'm not to sure on what exactly is the best light for you. Maybe some one like brookster, fresh20 or Brian_nano can chime in and help you out.

Sometimes if there is too much ferts which is common for algae growth then either increasing the light time or adding a plant like anarchis that can float on the surface is enough to do the trick and prevent some algae growth.

I have a 5 gallon planted tank as well but mine is high tech. I can grow a star repens carpet pretty easy with a BML on 60% with EI dosing and Co2 injection. For you just start with dwarf sag and you will have a nice lowlight carpet. The type of Carpets that you see in Bryan's tanks are extremely hard to attain to the perfection that he has. Stick with the dwarf sag and you won't be disappointed.

Turtles will eat all your plants....

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom