Want to start a 55g planted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dekz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so it looks like I'll be getting a 55 gallon tank a lot sooner than I thought. I want to get all my planning and everything done now so that when I get the tank I can dive right in.
icon_cool.gif

I've never done a planted tank before but my friend just started getting into it with his so we've been doing a lot of research together.

So I'm thinking a mix of Eco Complete and black gravel for substrate, think 2 bags of Eco Complete will be enough? Stuff is pricey.

What are some economical ideas for CO2? My friend just has the homemade thing going on with a milk jug reactor and an old gravel vac diffuser. It works, but I'd prefer to have as little clutter in the tank as possible. What about getting a tank, is that expensive? What is a good/cheap method for testing/monitoring CO2 levels?

I think we've got the lights figured out, he got his from a good local place so I will do the same and retrofit them into the stock hoods.

I'm definitely going to do fishless cycling, I did my other 3 tanks with fish and I didn't lose a single one but man doing daily water changes gets old real fast. Is it better to put the plants in before the fish, can I have the plants in there while it's cycling, will ammonia/nitrite hurt them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ammonia/nitrite is good for plants (to a point...). You can start adding plants pretty quick after setting up the tank (same day even).

Make sure you do your research on the type of plants you plan on buying. YOu want to avoid the common pitfall of buying non-aquatic plants. Many LFS (including large chain stores... especially large chain stores) sell plants that are not suitable for submerged growth but they say aquatic right on the package.

Check out this site: http://www.plantgeek.org . There is a great list of common aquarium plants -- and a great list of plants that are sold as aquatic but are not. You will want to plan what plants you want to get based on the type of setup you plan on getting.

You can use something as simple as an airstone to diffuse CO2 into your tank, or you can even put it in the filter itself depending on the equipment you have.

I suggest not using co2 unless you can go pressurized. DIY co2 (yeast and sugar mix) isn't very effective on larger tanks unless you have many or 1 large reactor and it can be alot of work. Also, DIY co2 doesn't provide a steady flow of co2 so levels can fluctuate causing algae.

If you stick with about 2-3 watts per gallon (or less) you will be fine without co2. Choose plants that aren't co2 hungry plants and will work in your lighting.

You can put plants in the day you set it up. I would be careful not to add too much ammonia (if that is what you'll be using for your fishless cycle) because if ammonia levels get too high, you could have an algae farm. Plants will take in some ammonia though, but too much isn't good. :)

Pressurized co2 is only expensive at startup. The hardware is a little more expensive than the tank. You'll need a regulator, tubing, check valve (brass not plastic), and a needle valve (usually comes on a regulator). You can usually find all of these for sale on ebay for about $80-90 which is a good deal IMO. CO2 tank prices vary by your area. Usually you can find a 5-10lb tank for a good price. They are sold on the internet as well....aquariumplants.com sells them, but you'd need to find a place to fill it.

A good method for monitoring co2 levels is a drop checker. You put a solution in it that is 4dKh (4 degrees carbonate hardness) and some pH solution and it turns colors based on your co2 levels. Read more here: The Drop Checker by Walter Reed. You can buy them on ebay and various websites.

How cheap you can start pressurised CO2 is directly related to how handy you are. Drs. F&S has a nice system that will run about $250 by the time you buy a tank locally. I've set up systems under $100 total by scrounging parts and injecting directly into my filter.

The drop checker is a good idea. Get some of Fort's 4dkh water too.

Eco mixed with gravel isn't really worth the extra cost of Eco. Use flourite if you feel like a mix. Use Lesco's Turface (a lawn product) if you want something cheap and effective.

Let us know some specs on the light you are getting ASAP. It will have a large effect on the advice you'll need.

If you do it right, a planted tank doesn't have to cycle at all. You can start with a heavy plant load and a light stock of fish and there won't ever be any detectable ammonia present.

If you still have your other tanks you can seed your new tank with stuff from them like the filter sponge or medium.

And please keep us posted Dekz! I'm starting a 55 plant tank in about a month and need all the examples I can get :).

Back
Top Bottom