Want to start a planted 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I REALLY want to start a planted 10 gallon tank. BUT it's for my two bettas which are in a split tank. Would it be possible to have a healthy planted tank when filtration is not flowing through the entire tank??? (filtration is on one side of the tank at a time)

Are you using a screen as a divider? I so I think it would be ok. Besides the plants do help with filitration.

yea Im using a screen but when its up I dont see any filtration going through to the other side. Its the divider they sell at the petsmart with TINY holes. think I should make my own divider?

You could try testing the water on both sides to see what the readings are. What kind of filter do you have, can you send a pic?

Divided tanks kinda suck IMHO, but yes you can try plants. My tank flow varies. Just after maintenance I have higher flow. Once my prefilter over my intake gets dirty or I don't thin/trim plants soon enough, my filter slows to a trickle.

My plants still thrive. Try easy stuff.

I use 2 screw in Mini CFLs 6500K.
I use liquid ferts once a week. Root tabs for my Crypts every 4 months. PWCs weekly or as needed.

One of my planted 10gs

Consider adding a second small HOB filter on the other side. Easiest fix. :)

You could try testing the water on both sides to see what the readings are. What kind of filter do you have, can you send a pic?

I probably have the most basic filter available. Its the top fin 10. How would I go about testing readings?

Divided tanks kinda suck IMHO, but yes you can try plants. My tank flow varies. Just after maintenance I have higher flow. Once my prefilter over my intake gets dirty or I don't thin/trim plants soon enough, my filter slows to a trickle.

My plants still thrive. Try easy stuff.

I use 2 screw in Mini CFLs 6500K.
I use liquid ferts once a week. Root tabs for my Crypts every 4 months. PWCs weekly or as needed.

One of my planted 10gs
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube

Consider adding a second small HOB filter on the other side. Easiest fix. :)

Thanks! Yea I may just do two filters instead of one just to be safe. What filter would you suggest?

What's a mini CFLs 6500k? --OHHH just kidding! I just looked online and it looks to be a bulb? Alot of different bulbs popped up though I'm not sure which it is specifically.. Would you be able to post a picture of it? Also what fixture do you use to hold the light? the original hood that comes along with the tank, or another fixture completely?

What liquid fert and root tabs do you use? Is one brand better than another?

reesies_87 said:
Thanks! Yea I may just do two filters instead of one just to be safe. What filter would you suggest?

What's a mini CFLs 6500k? --OHHH just kidding! I just looked online and it looks to be a bulb? Alot of different bulbs popped up though I'm not sure which it is specifically.. Would you be able to post a picture of it? Also what fixture do you use to hold the light? the original hood that comes along with the tank, or another fixture completely?

Will answer this after work. Long day today. ;)

I use my original incandescent hood. I swapped out my incandescents for Marineland CFLs

This is what I have, but many others will work.
Marineland PA0419 Eclipse Replacement Lamp FLO, fits 5-Gallon Corner & 5-Gallon Hex, 10-Watt:Amazon:pet Supplies
Just don't exceed the wattage rating for your hood.

I have two 10w bulbs over my 10g

How do I know how much watage my hood can handle? There's something on the back of my hood that says 120 VAC 60 Hz 50w is 50 watts the max?

go for the hang on back eheim filter, mine works wonders for my betta planted

Back
Top Bottom