Want to start adding plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WinksFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We currently have a 55 gallon tank with LED lighting. I want to start replacing my fake plants with real plants but not sure what/how to start. I have read many things on what type of lighting is best, but it seems as thought there are a ton of options. I think I want to do low light plants but not really sure. I guess my biggest questions would be:
1) what are the best types of plants to start with? And should I replace my whole tank or start replacing one or two fake plants with real ones at a time?
2) what type of lighting is best? If I do low light plants, will my LED lights be ok?
3) I have a mix of small/large gravel, is this ok or should I move to more of a sand base?
4) does the type of plants I get depend on the type of fish I have?

1. Do research on some plants you may be interested in. Depends on substrate lighting co2 ect.
2. LED usually is not the best for low light plants, I usually stick with T5 or T5HO for some reason
3. Research the plants you want and the substrates they may prefer or live well in. I have sand for mine but it could depend
4. Yes it possibly could. My goldfish does not like plants.

I know that did not truely answer your questions but doing research and specifics will help yourself and others help you. There are many guides to help you out there. As well as more intelligent people than myself in here.

Planted Tanks

Hello Winks...

I have several 55 G low light, low tech tanks and experiment with different substrates and fertilizers just to see what will grow.

Attached are some pics of my experimental tanks. Planted tanks are really fairly simple if you don't get into the more demanding plants.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me or anyone on this forum. There are a lot of experienced "water keepers" here.

B

Back
Top Bottom