Wanted-A Little Advice On Plant Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought plants from my greedy pet place and i just put them in my 29 gallon fish tank that i am now cycleing. I want to know if their is any thing i need to take care of them(besides light). The guy at my pet place said that he dident do any thing to his plants and they lived in his 10 gallon tank. Then he handed me a 7.99$ bottle of stuff and told me that i could put this in the tank also. That it was some kind of plant feed. I decided to wait and see if my plants really needed it. If my plants started to look a little brown or any thing i would get it. Do you think it was the right call? Do you know if i need to do an thing else to them?

Thats pretty much it. Depending on the plants and lighting, ferts may or may not be required. What plants did you get and what light do you have on your tank?

I dont know the names of every plant i got but i know i got a plant called lucky bamboo. The guy said that its not really bamboo but a hardy look alike. Another plant i got was called sword tail or some thing like that. Another one looks like a mini lily pad. I had a list but i really dident get any thing on it becuse the place i want to is so disorganized. So i ended up getting the plants that looked really healthy. For lighting i dont really know what i have. I got a set where you get a tank and every thing to set it up and the box only said oak folresent(IDK if i spelled that right) and it gives of this really pretty purple-bluish light.

The lucky bamboo isn't an aquatic plant. The bulbs you are looking for would be a 67K lights the purplish blue color could mean it is a 50/50 or actinic light. If this light is in your 10 gallon you will get by with low to low/medium lights. If it is in your 29 gallon you will have to upgrade. I found in a 10 gallon you can go to home depot and get their fluorescent bulbs much cheaper than at the pet store. Get the plant and aquarium bulb.

oh i thouht it was aquatic. Oh well i will just see how it gos and if it dose not survive i will just order the plants i want online. And yes that bulb is for my 29 gallon.

if you leave the bamboo submerged, it will rot and foul up your water. that light you have wont be able to grow much of anything except anubias. you can upgrade lights fairly cheap which would definately help with plants. and if your light is blue, it wont grow plants... like joy said, you'll need something between 6500k and 10,000k.

The lucky bamboo can survive in a tank if it is the full stalk and the leaves are out of the water. We've had them growing in our 20 and 5.5 with out any problem. Again, the leaves have to be out of the water, the stalk can be submerged. It's like putting them in a vase really, you keep the high end out of the water and let the roots grow in the glass beads, rocks or what ever. We have them rooted in the gravel, and I don't use an ferts.

If he sold you just the leaf portion, which most fish places sell as ribbon plant, then yes, it will die. It is not fully aquatic.

The best way I know to get plants is through the forums. They are cheaper and usually the person growing them will be able to tell you if your set up is going to work or not.

The best way I know to get plants is through the forums. They are cheaper and usually the person growing them will be able to tell you if your set up is going to work or not.

another good point... i got alot of my plants for the cost of shipping, and had i not had some bba problems, i would have offered the massive amount that i trimmed last night for free... i threw out about 20 stalks of anachris, a handful of HM, a bunch of wisteria, and a couple others that i have completely forgotten the names of lol

Yeah, People on this Forum are pretty chill about these kind of things.
You'll see, once you go planted, and the plants do well, they grow like crazy and you'll need to Trim & throw away tons of plants. If I weren't living so far (Canada), I would be offering tons of plants at the cost of shipping ($4.00 shipping will get you lots of plants but they would not survive the cold weather unfortunately)

Wow cool i would love to do something like that if any one would like to offer some plants.

do you have pics of all the plants. i am sure we could id the others. sounds like maybe a lotus and a sword plant both are medium light plants.

the $8 bottle prob flourish isnt needed.

Ok i will try to get some pics up. And i have a question can i put up videos? because i have a small video camra and i like it better than my regular camra.

Oh i don't have a Youtube account but i do have a camra and i will try to get pics up as soon as possible.

Oh yeah and how do you post pics? I am haveing some problems.

Back
Top Bottom