Wanting to add plants to my established tank. Need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've had my 60 gallon tank for about a year now and I would really love to add some plants to it. In the past, I've tried plants with little success, but I'm going to take another stab at it and see what happens. I have a wave point lamp that holds two 54 watt HO t5 bulbs. So total, I have 108 watts. I have this light on for about 7-8 hours a day. If necessary, I also have two 18 watt bulbs and a blue LED light. My water parameters are
pH: ~8.0
Ammonia: ~0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: ~40(+)

I hear that plants are great at reducing nitrates, so I need all the help I can get. My well water has high nitrates for some odd reason, so I've been stuck with high nitrates no matter how many water changes I do. Regardless, what plants would be good for me to begin with? What are some good fertilizers? I do have a lot of driftwood for Anubias and Java fern too.

Lots of cryptocroyne varieties are pretty simple to grow, as are a lot of stem plants. Anything that doesn't require 'high light' should be fine! If you're just starting off with a couple plants, I'd just save the money and wait on fertilizers.

I was thinking of buying two Anubias, an order of corkscrew vallisneria(comes in bunches of 12), one Amazon sword, and a green wendtii from aquariumplants.com. Does this sound like it would do well in my tank?

I was thinking of buying two Anubias, an order of corkscrew vallisneria(comes in bunches of 12), one Amazon sword, and a green wendtii from aquariumplants.com. Does this sound like it would do well in my tank?

I'd get some Java fern too. A lot of people struggle to grow corkscrew but u can give it a go :) also your plants will enjoy some carbon so maybe get some seachem excel as well. Being low light plants u won't need to dose it daily just here and there for abit of added benefit.

Those all sound fine. Just be aware that they'll grow slowly, and you may experience some melt as the crypts and vals adjust to your tank. Don't panic, though, they should grow back in a few weeks.

How do I tell the difference between the plants dying and melting? Is there maybe an easier background plant that I could replace the Vals with?

How do I tell the difference between the plants dying and melting? Is there maybe an easier background plant that I could replace the Vals with?

The plant will still look health just it will just lay all its leaves down to the substrate but then they perk back up. Signs on deficiency is yellowing leaves, brown spots, holes in leaves etc. as long as the plant still looks healthy then it will bounce back over time. U can also dose flourish for some fertilizer aswell.

Same goes for plants as with fish though u don't want your nitrates creeping much above 40 or u will get algae. Try and keep it around 20 if u can. Weekly water changes are always a good idea.

Okay that makes sense. Another thing I had trouble with last time I had plants was getting my Anubias, Java fern, and Java moss to even anchor to the driftwood. I used black zip ties to secure them on and waited probably about a month or two and they never attached themselves.

I add liquid ferts and a Carbon source at least 1x weekly after water changes.

Your Crypt may appreciate a Root Tabs buried near it 1x a month.

NiloCG Aquatics has Thrive which is an easy all in one Fert.

You'll still need Excel and he sells Root Tabs cheap

Okay that makes sense. Another thing I had trouble with last time I had plants was getting my Anubias, Java fern, and Java moss to even anchor to the driftwood. I used black zip ties to secure them on and waited probably about a month or two and they never attached themselves.

Zip ties will work or cotton is best if u ask me. Loop the cotton thread over and over will it's tight to the wood or ornament and then tie it off. By the time the thread rots away then plants will be attached (the extra ferts and carbon from the seachem products should aid in root growth) u can use dark thread so it's barely visible.

If you're looking for an easy background plant, Water Wisteria is incredibly easy to grow. Hornwort could work, as well, but it's way too messy for me (sheds lots of small needle shape leaves). Bacopa is another popular plant my LFS has recommended to me in the past.

Ooh I really like the look of water wisteria. I'll replace the Vals with those. So will 108 watts on my 60 gallon be enough for wisteria, a sword, Anubias, and Java moss? Or should I also use the blue LED and the two 18 watt bulbs also?

You should be fine for those plants, and even if the light levels turn out a bit lower than optimal, you'll probably just experience slower or different growth. The ozelot sword I have should be in a tank with a higher output light but instead of growing long stems it's almost growing like a little bush; nice green leaves with the spots I liked, just compact!
And don't be afraid to trim the Wisteria, it grows like crazy and will actually branch off to create a fuller plant wherever you snip... or it will just grow stalks off in random directions and places you weren't expecting. Mine is continually attempting to carpet the middle of my tank, but the scissors keep winning:brows: (trimmings can be easily replanted or floated, growth just may be minimal until they form a solid root structure)

So I just placed an order and got Anubias, Elodia, Java Fern, and Sagittaria. All of which I understand are very easy, simple plants to care for. One of by biggest concerns is the possibility of algae growth on my Anubias. How do I prevent this?

I've considered those actually, but I'm afraid that either my Bichir, Featherfin Cat, or my SA cichlids might eat them... Are they pretty safe from predation with their shells and all?

Also, I have some Seachem Flourish liquid fertilizer. Will this give my plants the nutrients they need or should I get a different type?

I've considered those actually, but I'm afraid that either my Bichir, Featherfin Cat, or my SA cichlids might eat them... Are they pretty safe from predation with their shells and all?

I have never kept these fish with them so I cannot say. They do stay tucked in their shell while grazing. Not like mystery snails. Perhaps someone else can help.

Also, I have some Seachem Flourish liquid fertilizer. Will this give my plants the nutrients they need or should I get a different type?
It's a great start, you might not need anything else or decide you want to try more. I added Flourish Iron at the suggestion of the LFS for the plants I have and decided to try Flourish Excel. Might not actually need any of them, but it makes me feel better about my plants:lol:

Back
Top Bottom