Wanting to sand my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stanknleyahsmommy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I want to change my gravel out of my tank and use sand instead. In your opinion whats the best sand to get my tank is already set up. Is it safe to do with my fish still in the tank?

I'd recommend PFS (pool filter sand). It's cheap, easily available, and works well in tanks.

It can be done with fish in the tank, depending on how many fish you have though it would probably be better to put the fish in a 5g bucket with a heater and aerator during the process though if that's feasible for you.

stanknleyahsmommy said:
Hi I want to change my gravel out of my tank and use sand instead. In your opinion whats the best sand to get my tank is already set up. Is it safe to do with my fish still in the tank?

I just replaced my gravel with carib sea African cichlid mix and I am soooo glad I spent the money and time on it! It's beautiful sand and my fish have been in heaven ever since. I have yet to test and see the ph benefit but I will post later. Was a suggestion from hdultra and a great one!

TankBoss said:
I just replaced my gravel with carib sea African cichlid mix and I am soooo glad I spent the money and time on it! It's beautiful sand and my fish have been in heaven ever since. I have yet to test and see the ph benefit but I will post later. Was a suggestion from hdultra and a great one!

I would also consider whether or not any of the sceptics of cichlid substrate have actually put both to the test before making up their minds. If they are merely satisfied because the inexpensive sand worked out, they're not doing you any favors by poo-pooing the mix.
I personally read a lot of great reviews, saw and loved the look in person, then finally made up my mind based on the testimony of a guy on the forums. Cost me 100 instead of 5 or 10 and I'm glad I spent the money.
I guess I could have gone cheap first but my 55 gallon took me 4 hours to change out so I definitely wanted to get it right in one try :)

Shrimp fan said:
I use kids play pit sand in my tanks. Just wash it first as it clouds the water. Its a lot cheaper than buying aquarium sand and does the same job.

False... one looks like play sand. There is also the ph buffering... I have yet to test but I will and post soon as I get a chance. I think it would be helpful to at least suggest watching some high res video of set-ups that use both.

Hi so I have successfully used a product called white lightning for my planted tanks. It can be found at most places u can buy stone and such. It's main use is for sandblasting but it works quite well as a top layer for planted tanks. My anubias thrive in it!

Back
Top Bottom