Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2004, 01:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to rocky_2197
Wanting to start a planted tank.

I have an established 29 gal tank with about 2.0 wpg. Could any one tell me how to start a planted tank. Such as plant sugestions and any other advice would be much appriciated.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:07 AM   #2

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=8935

Start here, and then come back with more specific questions. this should help you get started.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

What type of substrate do you have in there now? Also think about using C02. Some low light plants are Hornwort, Java moss, Java fern, Water fern(water sprite), Cryptocorynes. Make sure you start off with a lot of fast growers to cut back on the algea growth. This is just general info.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:38 PM   #4

I have normal gravel substrate. I already read that. I was wondering since I already have a established tank is there anything special I need to do In order to introduce live plants?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

As long as the substrate you have is a very small stone you can use it. Just make sure you have at least 2-3 inch depth and add a fert to it like Seachem flourish tabs. You may want to think about adding C02 unit or you can try Seachem Flourish excel (organic carbon source).
Old 02-05-2004, 08:14 AM   #6

If you have an established tank with the 2.0 watts per gallon you have indicated then you are set.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:22 AM   #7

Thanks for the help. One more question will the Seachem florish tabs be harmful to my fish?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

No the Flourish tabs will not hurt your fish...I use them all the time in my planted tanks with fish.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm an absolute beginner with plants - the first batch we tried didn't last long at all. The last time we went back and got potted plants... Just buried the pots in the gravel - though we're still not sure if we should have done that. We have two water sprites, an anubias and an amazon sword and they're all doing ok. Not as good as they could be because the quality of the water stinks.. we don't use C02 and we haven't added Flourish or anything else for the plants. I even accidentally added a packet of Proper PH 7.0 before I read somewhere not to use it in a planted tank.

I do have a point here *babble babble*.. hehe That point being if those plants grow for me, they'll grow for darn near anybody!
Old 02-06-2004, 10:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

As a starter tank, try to stick with the Anubias and Crypt type plants. Also Java Fern and Java Moss are quite easy to grow. Try to keep away from many red leaved plants as they usually require higher values of light. Post a couple pics once you decide on what kind of plants you shoot for, and keep reading because mostly everything your gonna need to know to get started will be on this site.

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com