wanting to start planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a 29 gallon with sand, I had posted a thread in the wanted section for moss but it seems I don't have the right kind of lighting for plants, so I want to know more info before I buy plants

butterfly_koi said:
Its a 29 gallon with sand, I had posted a thread in the wanted section for moss but it seems I don't have the right kind of lighting for plants, so I want to know more info before I buy plants

What kind of lighting do you have now ?

Moss will grow under pretty low light.

I would start with Java Ferns or Java Moss. I've had them growing in a bowl with a table lamp nearby and they still grew ;)

Tall tanks like a 29g are a little more challenging to light. But depending on what kind of plants you want, you should easily be able to grow some lowlight plants even with just a T8 as long as its a good spectrum.

A T5 fixture will give you a lot more light. Dual T5s will need CO2 to manage the Algae.

Lowlight isn't dark, just less useable light for plants.

Coursair said:
What kind of lighting do you have now ?

you should easily be able to grow some lowlight plants even with just a T8 as long as its a good spectrum.

A T5 fixture will give you a lot more light. Dual T5s will need CO2 to manage the Algae.

Ok this is where my wisdom ends lol I know nothing about lights, but the writing on the bulb says 8,000k full spectrum daylight 17w 120v T8

butterfly_koi said:
Ok this is where my wisdom ends lol I know nothing about lights, but the writing on the bulb says 8,000k full spectrum daylight 17w 120v T8

Ok you have a T8 fixture. That's standard.
8,000K is the Kelvin rating ( how blue or red the bulb is ).

17 watts over a 29g is the issue. That's VERY low light. Not even a watt per gallon.

If your fixture is rated for it, try to get a 30 to a 60 watt 6,500K T8 bulb.
The max wattage should be listed inside the fixture.

If possible you want 1-2 watts per gallon.
If you stay with T8s you may need a two bulb fixture ?

If you want to upgrade you can go T5s
This fixture comes with 2 bulbs and free shipping
http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/action/addToCart.jsp

Or http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-55907585196829_2203_3277542

A single T5 will put out more light than 2 T8s I think ???

That's as much as I can say. I'm new at this and just use CFLs over my little tanks.

Back
Top Bottom