Water ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am moving at the end of the week to a house that has a water softener and a reverse osmosis systems in the house. Is it ok to use this in my tank and how would you suggest introducing my fish to this. Our water is very hard where I live now. TIA

I am moving at the end of the week to a house that has a water softener and a reverse osmosis systems in the house. Is it ok to use this in my tank and how would you suggest introducing my fish to this. Our water is very hard where I live now. TIA

Water softener is a no no. Normally softened with the use of salt

Reverse osmosis or RO for short, is perfectly fine. Just remember it is 'pure' water and therefore will be very chemically different to the water you are currently using.

You need yo allow time for the fish to adjust slowly

Start by cutting your normal tap water with the RO for water changes. So maybe 3 parts tap to 1 part RO for the first two weeks. Then going 2 parts tap to 2 parts RO for the next two weeks. So on and so on...

Do not use all RO water as this will contain no minerals needed by the fish and plants. Seachem equilibrium can be used to remineralise the water.

Equally what you can do is 3 parts RO to 1 part tap. This is what i use :)

No dechlorinator is needed for RO water but is still needed for tap.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So all of the water except the RO is softened in the house, so would I use just water from like the water hose outside? If I did that would i still need to add seachem equallibrium? I am going to have the water tested as it is in a well not city water.

In that case i would use pure RO water but defo remineralise with equilibrium!

You might have to do a series of smaller water changes as to not shock the fish.

Instead of a normal 50% change maybe try a 20% but do a few a week. Gradually increase the amounts until your back at a 50% or whichever you would normally do

RO will generally remove all impurities in the water as well as heavy metals such as copper, iron. It will also remove all elements that make the water 'hard' such as calcium.

This is why the water must be remineralised. What you spend on equilibrium will be saved on dechlor

Plants will be fine in RO. As long as they get the minerals needed from the equilibrium.

A good ferts regime will also give them what they require

Back
Top Bottom