Water changes and heavily planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was poking around the Planted Tank forum, and I came across an interesting thread regarding java fern and anubias melt in a low light 30g tank.
My java ferns always do poorly, so I got interested.

An experienced planted tanker suggested to dose ferts once a week, and do water changes once per month. He mentioned that weekly water changes put CO2 into the water in such a cycle that plants like java ferns may not like it. By waiting 1 or 2 months between water changes, the water chemistry stays more stable.

I have never heard of putting off water changes for 1-2 months, except for Walstad tanks.

Is this advice sound?

I guess it would depend on the biolaod and nitrate levels. Sometimes I go up to two weeks between water changes, but by that time my filter is usually clogged and running rather slow.

My java ferns never do well either. I dose flourish comprehensive and Excel. But I don't dose Excel every day, I forget, so its maybe 1-2 times a week.

i had zero lighting other than small amount of indirect sunlight, and didn't dose any ferts whatsoever and my java fern did fine. even had some new plants sprouting up on the leaves.

I was poking around the Planted Tank forum, and I came across an interesting thread regarding java fern and anubias melt in a low light 30g tank.
My java ferns always do poorly, so I got interested.

An experienced planted tanker suggested to dose ferts once a week, and do water changes once per month. He mentioned that weekly water changes put CO2 into the water in such a cycle that plants like java ferns may not like it. By waiting 1 or 2 months between water changes, the water chemistry stays more stable.

I have never heard of putting off water changes for 1-2 months, except for Walstad tanks.

Is this advice sound?

While the Co2 thing sounds logical, I would think that it would adversely affect the fish faster than the plants. Plants typically like co2, or at least I thought they did. I don't know of any that are 'sensitive' to high amounts of it, and the reason why people set their co2 level to 30ppm is for the fishes sake, not the plants.

It doesn't take long for the water to equalize, either, so I don't know how much that'd actually affect them. I have a few different java ferns in different tanks and haven't had any issues.

Last edited:

Sounds like a load of crock to me. Any CO2 added during a water change would dissipate in a matter of hours. Saying that an increase in CO2 might throw plants out of whack is like saying you shouldn't go outside because the sunlight and increased oxygen levels will somehow harm your health. It just doesn't compute.

aqua_chem said:
Sounds like a load of crock to me. Any CO2 added during a water change would dissipate in a matter of hours. Saying that an increase in CO2 might throw plants out of whack is like saying you shouldn't go outside because the sunlight and increased oxygen levels will somehow harm your health. It just doesn't compute.

Agreed

If you Fern isnt doing to good, you could try cutting all the leave off and leave to root. Ive done this and it sprouted nice new leaves within a week or two. Its been doing wonderful since.

Back
Top Bottom