Water Sprite Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had this wisteria for a week now. It's in a dirted tank with a pfs cap. It was also in there during the last week of the fishless cycle. It looked nice when I first got it shipped here (from a private grower). It had 2" long roots I snipped 1/4" off them and planted it. Could this be from too much ammonia and nitrogen from the cycle, The high temp from when I was cycling or a deficiancy? I have been dosing glut for a few days now and also seachem comp 1x a week and API leaf zone 1x a week. The leaves are turning yellow then brown. Here's a couple pics.

ForumRunner_20130515_123752.jpg

ForumRunner_20130515_123816.jpg

ForumRunner_20130515_124005.jpg

ForumRunner_20130515_124054.jpg

Edit: might help if I noted how much of what I'm dosing and my paramaters.
1ml excel daily for 3 days now
1ml comprehensive and 5ml leaf zone on Wednesdays

Ph 7.6-7.8
Ammo 0
No2 0
No3 20 (my tap is somewhere between 10-20)
Phosphate 1-2
Temp 76-78

Last edited:
What are your nitrate levels? Wisteria takes in a ton of nitrate so maybe since you're cycling there's a deficiency there. Looks like an odd wisteria for sure. Mine don't look like that exactly, maybe its just the picture though

I posted my paramaters in an edit at the end of the main post its was barley above 20 but my cycle was finished two days ago. Gimme a sec and ill test it again to make sure.

I posted my paramaters in an edit at the end of the main post its was barley above 20 but my cycle was finished two days ago. Gimme a sec and ill test it again to make sure.
I know sorry, I think I was typing my response as you were adding your edit. Maybe try increasing your dosing of ferts to more than once a week. Maybe try separating your flourish and leaf zone to dose on different days like Mondays and Thursdays

I just tested again twice and both times got 10ppm which is actually lower than my tap water I also dosed the comp and the leaf zone today about an hour before the lights came on. Should I start dosing the comp 2x a week and split the leaf zone dose in half and do that 2x a week also? I'm getting dry ferts in tomorrow for my 20 but I don't wanna waste almost a whole bottle of comp. Could I just dose the nitrate from my pps pro mix on top of the comp and be ok with fry and shrimp.

Oh and also I didn't add the plants untill there was already nitrate showing up.

Last edited:
LOL Hello again MM
Wait till you start the PPS dry ferts. With the glut and good light your Hygro will explode! I have Hygro in one corner and Cabomba in the other corner and I can't keep it trimmed down fast enough. Between these two plants I'm having to double dose my NO3 part of the ferts just to keep 7-10ppm of NO3. Make sure to do like Rivercats suggested. Use three dose bottles instead of two so you can dose NO3 separate from the KO & PO instead of having them together. Be sure and do alot of NO3 & PO4 tests until you find the dose that gives you the levels you want in your tank. When you get ready to start the PPS, PM me and I'll tell you how and when I tested to find my "sweet spot". OS.

Cool ya I was plannin on waiting on doing dry on that tank untill I run out out of comp but my 20 will be getting pps pro starting Monday since sunday is my pwc day. My ferts will be in tomorrow!!!!! And yes I ordered 3 1000ml dosing bottles.

All my plants took 3 weeks to establish themselves in my dirted tank. They melted down the first week and later came back strong. All of them but wisteria. Wisteria took at least a month to get it going. It is normal.

THe comp is traces right? If they are, you could use it for the traces part of the PPS Pro until you used it up. Ask our plant mother about it when she's in here this eve. OS.

Total Nitrogen
0.07%​
Available Phosphate ( P2O5)
0.01%​
Soluble Potash
0.37%​
Calcium (Ca)
0.14%​
Magnesium (Mg)
0.11%​
Sulfur (S)
0.2773%​
Boron (B)
0.009%​
Chlorine (Cl)
1.15%​
Cobalt (Co)
0.0004%​
Copper (Cu)
0.0001%​
Iron (Fe)
0.32%​
Manganese (Mn)
0.0118%​
Molybdenum (Mo)
0.0009%​
Sodium (Na)
0.13%​
Zinc (Zn)
0.0007%​
Derived from: Potassium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Chloride, Ferrous Gluconate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate, Protein Hydrolysates.
Some components are no longer listed in the Guaranteed Analysis due to state regulations. The formulation of this product has not be altered.

I don't see why you can't dose the macro's in the dry ferts and finish using up the bottle of Comp for your micro's. It has a touch of macro but nothing IMO that is going to make any difference.

Do you think it could be a potassium deficiency? I had that yellowing and then turning brown problem and I narrowed it down to lack of potassium. And since I got the flourish potassium they seem to be doing fine. I also have a wisteria and got it about a week ago. So far so good. The only thin I will need to do with it is give it more space.

Man I feel like an idiot :banghead: I don't know what I was thinking I posted it as a water wisteria its a water sprite. Is there any way to change the subject from wisteria help to water sprite help...

Ok. I was just kinda being funny with changing it over. And FOL is ****ed over literally. Sorry if you didn't find the humor. And I don't know if you can change the title over. I'm sure people will catch it if they read the whole thing.

I figured it was something like that lol ya it was humourous lol hmm so should I just let this one roll or be that guy an start a new one...

Back
Top Bottom