Water sprite question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are just aerial roots and can be cut off if you don't like looking at them.

On the right side of it? Roots, looks like a plantlet is forming on it... and in a few weeks, it sohuld break free, and be its own little water sprite

Awesome thanks for answering my question so fast!
I have one more is this algae or is this normal for dwarf hair grassImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398898699.011939.jpg

That isn't DHG. I see some type of moss, probably java moss in the picture but don't see any algae even when I click and enlarge the picture. What type of algae do you think you have?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398899551.463787.jpg
Live aquarium sold it as DHG. The fuzzy algae on the grass. I tried to take a closer pic of the fuzz

Looks like Eleocharis acicularis to me. Those flower buds are indicative to it being grown emersed. It might melt a bit to shed those old leaves for immersed growth.

That is emersed growth DHG. It will change into it's immersed growth form over time which is what I was looking at not even thinking about how it looks when it's grown emersed. It appears to have a fuzz algae on it. Did it come that way or did it get this after being in your tank? How long do you run your lighting daily? What type of light fixture and bulbs are you using? Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels? When dealing with algae only run lighting 6 hours daily until it's gone. Plus remember that the higher the light used in a tank the shorter the photoperiod has to be in order to keep algae under control.

You can spot treat the algae by using 3ml of hydrogen peroxide 3% for every 1 gallon of tank water. Pull that amount up in a syringe, turn off filters, squirt the algae, and leave filters off for 20 minutes. Reduce lighting and you should see the algae die off.

It did not come with the algae but has since grown. I will shorten the length of light and will reduce the amount of co2 I add to the tank. Don't want to use hydrogen peroxide because if have live plants in my tank and don't want to harm them. Thanks for the advise everyone!!!

Hydrogen Peroxide 3% is used on plants to kill algae. Liquid carbon can be used the same way as well. I've been using both for years and Peroxide/water at a ratio of 1:4 soaking on new plants before adding them to a tank will kill algae and many unwanted hitch hikers.

Also do not lower CO2 or ferts. Algae grows when there is an imbalance between lighting, ferts, and CO2.

Back
Top Bottom