Water striders hitchhiking on my new plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowgrlw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks!

I bought some new fancy guppies and three new aquarium plants 4 days ago -- my first ever for both! I didn't check the plants when I got them (I forgot), so today I found two snails that appear to be physa. They're oval-shaped and brown -- very tiny. I took them out and put them in a jar of water and I'll be watching for more. I bought the plants and fish at Big Al's, and they were from a brand-new plant shipment that they were just putting out when I got there. I didn't see any snails in the plant tanks this time, although I have in the past.

But there were some other hitchhikers that I only spotted because I turned off the filter while I got the snails out -- at least 2 baby water striders! I have never seen nor heard of water striders being in aquarium plants, nor can I find anyone who says they've had them in their aquarium. Have any of you encountered or heard of this before? What should I do with the water striders? Take them to the local pond? Let the guppies eat them? I believe they eat bugs, so would they even be able to live in my tank?

Also, can the snails survive out in my garden, or should I freeze them to kill them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Wendy

Back
Top Bottom