Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Water Wisteria

General information on water wisteria such as how to prune or propagate and how large and fast it grows. What fertilizers should be used to keep this plant alive if they need it and how should i plant it.

I use gravel and i'm wondering if i can just stick it into the gravel and it will grow or do i need sand or fertilized substrate.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fast growing
root tabs for ferts
will grow okay in low light but higher light is better
to propagate trim and plant the trimmings
can grow quite tall so is a good background plant.
either gravel or sand will work.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's dead easy to propagate. Any whole leaf will root if you remove it carefully from the stem. Let them float, they'll root and sprout new stems, which can be planted when they have some roots to hold them. Cuttings also root, at the leaf nodes.

I find they do best with decent light and some Excel [or glut], though they will grow without it. Many of mine happen to be growing in tanks with no substrate, and have grown quite long roots from most of the lower leaf nodes. I feed them Flourish liquid fert.

Tags
ate, water, wisteria

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com